Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I missing something?

Can anyone tell me the fuss regarding taking on one extra child? Am I missing something, if so, please tell me. Has I see it, lots of chiildminders, including myself have already 4 children under 5 because of the sibling rule. Do I think the children are at risk? NO! Can I manage Ok ? YES! Are the children safe and happy? YES! Do I charge any less? NO. DO you HAVE A CHOICE? YES! So if you think you can not cope or just simply don't want an extra child(because it will only be 1) don't take on an extra child. If you do and don't want to drop your prices for doing so, don't! It's your bussiness, not the goverments, you are in charge, dont get so up set with these changes, just do what you believe in . I know some childminders who only take on 2 children because they find that's enough for them. Everyone is different, if you ask them, they would say 3 is too many!
    If agencies come in, don't join. ACTIONS speak louder than words!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

the campaign against MGC isnt just against childminding ratios which as you say havent changed that much.

Its the increased ratios in nursery's.
    Its against 2 yos being in school.
    It's against comments like space is a trival issue.
    And lots more!!!

The issue with agencies if las stop providing training and agencies provide the training how would you access it if not part of the agency.
    If the FIS are scrapped and again agencies take over how will you get any business.

The campaign is not just about increased ratios its about making sure children still get a childhood and not be preparing them for employment again another aim of the MGC.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes blue bear, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    the campaign against MGC isnt just against childminding ratios which as you say havent changed that much.

Its the increased ratios in nursery's.
    Its against 2 yos being in school.
    It's against comments like space is a trival issue.
    And lots more!!!

The issue with agencies if las stop providing training and agencies provide the training how would you access it if not part of the agency.
    If the FIS are scrapped and again agencies take over how will you get any business.

The campaign is not just about increased ratios its about making sure children still get a childhood and not be preparing them for employment again another aim of the MGC.
    I agree.

Exactly where is a CM going to find the "one extra child"? They'll be in school at 2yo under an "Early Years Teacher" (who, incidentally, will hold no bona fide teaching qualification of any description.) Or they'll be crammed into the mega-nurseries who'll be able to fill the rooms that were formerly set aside for sleeping and parent interviews, in order to boost their numbers. They'll also be able to enjoy huge economies of scale: ie. using the money they saved by bulk-buying tins of 'value' beans&sausage to invest in market-saturation advertising. Or else sack a few staff to increase their margins whilst reducing fees slightly.

Why do I get worried every time a CM looks for the £signs in MGC rather than the questions of quality and sustainability? Probably cos I know that's exactly what Truss wants us to see.

5. Likes hectors house liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dont forget being taught how to read and write. Who needs play?
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Simona Guest

Bindy...you say if agencies come in don't join... many cms will not join and remain free of them
    Why join something that is not tried and tested?

The problem will be what we face as 'independent' cms, how we will attract parents and sell our independence to them, how will we continue training and develop CPD when LAs will not be there to offer it, with Ofsted making inspections more difficult will we drop our grades and give Ofsted the ammunition they need to say that agencies are the best way of achieving high quality?

Childcare is now an open market and many consultancy and training businesses will jump in to train independent cms but at what cost?...they will also offer training to agencies who will pass the cost to their members

I have seen the first hint of what the inspections fee will cost and we still wait to know what our registration with Ofsted will be...none as at present I'm afraid... so we need to think ahead and there will be competition out there

MGC is not just about ratios, I agree with Fussy Elmo and Bunyip...it is about unwanted and senseless radical reforms that are meant to lower costs to parents but won't and appeal to middle classes in time for the general election
    My opinion is nothing we say or do will change Truss or Wilshaw's plans

8. Likes loocyloo, mum26 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are 30+ childminders and 10+ nurseries just in my local area - NONE are full... some are busy but all have vacant spaces.

If ratios change then all the nurseries get to take on extra children... all the childminders can bend their ratios to take on extra children...

Where is my business coming from? I am very worried about our future sustainability

Yes, I know there will soon be an influx of 2 year olds - and the Gov are partly making spaces for that - but not all childminders can take them so we will be at a big disadvantage there too.

Oh and don't forget they are making it easier for children to go to school earlier - and making it easier for schools to open up after school clubs.

It's the whole thing that is stacked against us do you see?

Simona Guest

In addition to that Sarah we also have the new cms who will be recruited by ncma and other associations who have stated they will help with govt policy

So there is the other threat on top of those you have rightly mentioned...we know that in some areas there is a shortage of cms and childcare places especially for the influx of 2 year olds

I agree many things are badly stacked against cms...the ratio issue may mean that those cms who choose to look after as many children as they can may lower their fees, take most of the business and one worrying thing who will be there to monitor their quality and level of safeguarding??

11. Likes loocyloo, mum26 liked this post
    Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    In addition to that Sarah we also have the new cms who will be recruited by ncma and other associations who have stated they will help with govt policy

So there is the other threat on top of those you have rightly mentioned...we know that in some areas there is a shortage of cms and childcare places especially for the influx of 2 year olds

I agree many things are badly stacked against cms...the ratio issue may mean that those cms who choose to look after as many children as they can may lower their fees, take most of the business and one worrying thing who will be there to monitor their quality and level of safeguarding??
    Childminders will only be able to look after 1 extra child, OR have I got it wrong? Parents will not leave their chldren in places that are over run with children, surely?? I live in a area where childminders are gold dust but parents are still fussy and so they should be. They still demand good quality care, even though its hard to find a childminder who has spaces..My parents would rather pay a little more and keep the ratio as it is, they are not going to put the children with minders who have lots of kids but charge a pound or 2 less per hour.

13. Likes bunyip liked this post