Another article on childminder agencies from Yvette @homechildcare
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    justgoodfriends Guest

Default Another article on childminder agencies from Yvette @homechildcare

Part Time Flexible Childcare in Nottingham and Sheffield, Childcare Jobs, Childcare Training

Updated page - attempts to dispel the myths around childminder agencies..

2. Likes singingcactus liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is in the best interests of agencies to put a positive spin on what they are offering of course...

However, I fail to see how they can say they won't over-regulate and self employed childminders can pick and choose what they want from the agency when the agency will need to show their childminders are achieving to a high standard to get the Ofsted grading they will want.

I also fail to see how the agencies will leave self employed childminders alone when they MUST carry out 'regular monitoring visits' and are having to provide 'individualised developmental mentoring'. This sounds like someone coming to my house and regulating me more often than Ofsted / LA to me!

And no clarification of cost...

I get support / training free at the moment - I will have to pay for training in the future but it will be my choice whether to attend or not - but if my LA disappears I will lose that support - so I will join with my fellow independent childminders and organise it like Stockport do...

Thank you for sharing

4. Likes AgentTink liked this post
    Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the article was quite informative and I feel quite relieved after reading it (although I do realise they aren't exactly neutral), it answers some of my questions but I still don't see how it will work financially and will be interested to see the costs involved.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see that some childminders will feel that the option 2 will work for them but I really can't see the need still!
    And they are still not talking prices. Are they saying it will cost the same as our Ofsted fee! It all too unclear for my liking

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is (below) the latest, weirdly 'agency like' offering on local *****. Checked it out on FB and seems to be a free service at present. I'm not against it working this way, and think local CM's can stay independent, register on a joint website, so they are not registered TO anyone, but can then work together jointly ( a few in each locality) to provide a find a minder service or to refer on to parents - thereby providing the only useful service that agencies can offer to parents but WITHOUT THE COST - might be a way to stay independent.

However, it worries me slightly that people are going it alone so early on to provide this service and makes me wonder if it will remain a free service?? but perhaps I'm being unfair (and apologies if this person is a forum member) just me being a sceptic I guess.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

Hello, I run a business called "CHILDMINDER PROVIDER", I work for parents finding suitable Ofsted Registered childminders. I know looking for a childminder to meet your and your child's needs and requirements can be hard work, my job is to do the searching for you. I only charge a very reasonable fee if and when I have placed you with a childminder! I have a lot of childminders registered looking to fill vacancies so don't hesitate to get in touch. You can message me on *****, or at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or on my business face book page "Childminder Provider"! Alternatively if you are an "Ofsted Registered" childminder please do the same. Thank you
    l
    Childminder Provider
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Post Thanks / Like

Just looked this up on Facebook and it seems to be something she has been doing for a while (I was looking at the business based in Carshalton).

Personally, in my area, I can't really see how this would be a viable business (demand outstripping supply), but maybe there is a need for it in her area?

I'm sure there will be other similar things popping up round the country. Seems like Truss has opened up a 'free for all'. It remains to be seen how many are actually viable though...

Simona Guest

What that cm is doing poses a lot of questions?...in addition to all the thoughts I have she cannot act as an 'agency' because she is not going to be providing what an agency has to provide?

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    What that cm is doing poses a lot of questions?...in addition to all the thoughts I have she cannot act as an 'agency' because she is not going to be providing what an agency has to provide?
    i guess if she gives up minding, starts sourcing training she could. At the moment no-one knows what the requirements are of agencies as they are making it up as they go along so who knows!
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A few musings:-

1. Is Yvette making this up, or have I good reason to be suspicious that she has more detailed information about how agencies will work that government has actually released publicly?

2. Much of this isn't exactly news, since MM have been offering their in-house publication to serve as a mouthpiece for Yvette and her ilk for some time now.

3. Sarah, I'll mail you. I've come across something kinda related to this which I'd like to discuss off-forum. The coincidental timing is quite scary.

Simona Guest

I am not sure what her gane is but her tweets are very annoying...today has been 'myth busting day' for them...if they say 'myth' once more I won't be responsible for my actions!!!!
    They have now turned on to LAs and moaning that not all offer support to all cms...hardly breaking news!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    3. Sarah, I'll mail you. I've come across something kinda related to this which I'd like to discuss off-forum. The coincidental timing is quite scary.
    Thank you bunyip I appreciate your message

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I am not sure what her gane is but her tweets are very annoying...today has been 'myth busting day' for them...if they say 'myth' once more I won't be responsible for my actions!!!!
    They have now turned on to LAs and moaning that not all offer support to all cms...hardly breaking news!
    I know :-(
    Really irritating - could not stop myself from replying.
    It does nothing to put anyone's minds at rest (if that's the idea)...
    I'm not buying any of that Myth/Fact twaddle.
    I'll await proper clarification from the DfE.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Has she mentioned the fact that the 2012 agency model will be a golden ticket for company's like hers? @homechildcare already run something akin to an agency, but their CMs are directly employed. How much more convenient to take a fee without the company having to bear the costs and responsibilities towards an employee.

Nor is there much transparency about possible costs to parents. When I hear "agency" I can't help comparing it to lettings agencies. They charge no end of search fees, admin charges, etc. to people looking for a home to rent. They even charged a friend of mine £60 to carry out a credit check on him, when the cost of doing this is only about £25 !!! It can cost £100's irrespective of whether you're even offered a letting at the end of it all. Are CM agencies likely to treat desperate families any differently???

Simona Guest

Good point...when are they going to reveal the costs to cms and parents alike?
    If true that many models are being allowed why only @Home Childcare is freely passing on information to cms? not that her myths/facts have dispelled any worries or clarified anything, what she is tweeting is what we already know