Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd reading

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
    Labour said they support the basic idea of agencies if it is about getting childcare better, more support for childminders and helping parents finding childcare.

However they said :
    1) The details are too hazy at the present time
    2) They will only support plans for agencies if they do not make extra costs for parents
    3) They want to know what does the bill mean for LA's and the work they do
    4) They want to know what is the criteria for inspecting agencies
    5) Concern that agencies will cream off money, meaning less given to child carers and raises costs to parents. They want assurances that agencies will actually support better childcare and not just be money making

Other things were said this was just what i could remember

Asmuch as this pains me to write (the FIL is a labour councillor) Labour are listening they could be our best line of defence
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Meg Hillier, Labour MP for Hackney South and Shoreditch has spoken about agencies too, talked about concerns about how unclear it the plans

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Meg Hillier (Member of Parliament for Hackney South and Shoreditch) is fighting our cause in the House of Commons.

Her main points where:
    1) This bill has just created more chaos
    2) She believes that the LA needs to stay in charge of checking demand in each area, as sustainability is a major factor for child carers.
    3) Ratios are unworkable. They do nothing to reduce costs. They are at the cost of quality.
    4) Agencies - How will it work - will it be children's centers and LA acting as Ofsted checkers and giving development, which Labour would support, or it is a private sector idea in order to make money, Labour will not support this. She wanted to know how agencies would work in regards to would parents have a choice which childminder they used as this was a fundamental part of the relationship for childminders and their families. Meg made comparisons to the creation of agencies for older people - this just creamed off profit and reduced care standards
    5) Meg was very complimentary about childminders and the work we do, and the positive steps that have been taken to raise Ofsted grades. She read a letter from a parent who used a childminder who praised the low ratios and family home based style of care.

4. Likes phoenix2010, nipper, lisbet liked this post
    June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't watch it till now did they cover it?
    Celest

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I going to tell you what I think.

The reason the powers that be have put agencies in the children and families bill is that to get agencies passed without much objection.

they are being really sneaky and underhand as the adoption laws of this country do need reviewing.

I wonder how many cms across the country knew about the bill being in parliament. Thats what the government are doing getting bits through without the majority knowing.

Keep shouting everyone we need to get louder

Totally agree, still so many mums in the playground and other childminders haven't a clue that anything different is being proposed at all.

I spoke to my son and his partner today, and they had no idea at all that there were any changes being proposed.

This must be the same everywhere, I can't believe it is just the people I know.

WE MUST SHOUT LOUDER....

Post Thanks / Like

Lucy Powell supported us as well - still watching, haven't had chance to summarise points yet.

Post Thanks / Like

May still be worth watching - have been here since 4pm and chaos going on - hoping husband is making pasta downstairs :-D !

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to be behind, but what is/are end result options with this reading? I mean, what can/could happen next? Do they vote now? I'm a bit confused!

Aug 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It goes to committee stage yet, then a report, then 3rd reading, then whole process repeated in House of Lords, then Law

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Childrenatheart View Post
    It goes to committee stage yet, then a report, then 3rd reading, then whole process repeated in House of Lords, then Law
    Thank you, so all this chat is to inform the committee etc? Does the committee then change the words? Sorry to be dense!

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Why on earth is the agency thing being put through on this bill!! The Children and Families Bill is huge. Having sat through over 4hrs of the debate it is about changes in adoption and SEN, which is the most radical reform in 30yrs. Agencies was mentioned no more than about 4 times!

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jo.jo76 View Post
    Why on earth is the agency thing being put through on this bill!! The Children and Families Bill is huge. Having sat through over 4hrs of the debate it is about changes in adoption and SEN, which is the most radical reform in 30yrs. Agencies was mentioned no more than about 4 times!
    So they can get it through unnoticed by the majority

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12