Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CONSULTATION ON RATIOS AND EARLY YEARS QUALIFICATIONS - closed

The Department for Education has opened this consultation on early years qualifications and ratios following yesterday's announcement by Liz Truss, Unders Secretary for Early Years that she intends to raise the number of children providers can care for

We are against her proposals as inappropriate to children's development and needs and are convinced this will not lower the cost of childcare

Please spread this link to anyone you know and encourage them to respond: colleagues in early years, parents, schools, playgroups etc
    We are campaigning on Twitter, Face book and other social media to raise awareness of this consultation.

Providers may want to arrange meetings to help others understand the importance of our response and help to fill in...it is a short consultation.

Thank you for your help...this is very important for our children's future.

Consultation: Early education and childcare staff deployment - About the Department
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Please can I bump this one up your reading list.

It is very important that we make our thoughts known in as many different places as we can!!

I have it on my 'to do' list for tomorrow... it's only a short consultation.

Thank you for posting it Juggler

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

just read this ... England (proposed) - Childminders can have a maximum of six children under the age of 8, a maximum of 4 young children (until 1st September following their 5th birthday), and a maximum of two children under 1. Ratios can be exceeded by one for reasonable periods of time to allow for overlaps between children.

so that is basically until the end of reception year/end of foundation stage.

where as currently once a child is in school fulltime they move out of our early years ratios.

so that means we can't/don't have 4 under 5 ( necessarily ) as one could be in fulltime school. and we won't be able to charge parents whilst child is at school! they've snuck that one in! or tried to!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Loocyloo, I read that the other day however I believe that the same rules will apply as now ie if a child is in full time school they are classed as rising 5. Right now the wording is exactly the same except it says we can have 3. The rising 5 rule then comes into play. It has to state this wording incase someone chooses not to put their child into school, as we need to know were the cut off for the eyfs is.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
    Loocyloo, I read that the other day however I believe that the same rules will apply as now ie if a child is in full time school they are classed as rising 5. Right now the wording is exactly the same except it says we can have 3. The rising 5 rule then comes into play. It has to state this wording incase someone chooses not to put their child into school, as we need to know were the cut off for the eyfs is.
    i thought that, but they don't make it very clear, plus on the response form they talk about caring for 4 under 5's!

thanks ... at least its not just me reading it wrong!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree it is very unclear - ok they might have to do it because of children not going to school - but they have changed the EYFS wording and not told us why or given any explanation.

And don't forget it's gone off our certificates now!! It's all 'refer to the eYFS' which will have to be changed to accommodate the new ratios soon anyway if / when they are implemented...

So they could sneak anything in now and we'd be stuck with it!!

It's just one more thing we need to tackle

I am sure that Truss doesn't understand the ratios issue fully! She keeps making mistakes It is very worrying...

Post Thanks / Like

All this makes me wonder why on earth she is the minister with responsibility for childcare! She should know her facts inside out and not be making mistakes - this is our livelihood she is messing with!

8. Likes mum24 liked this post
    Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Please can I bump this one up your reading list.

It is very important that we make our thoughts known in as many different places as we can!!

I have it on my 'to do' list for tomorrow... it's only a short consultation.

Thank you for posting it Juggler
    Just completed pretty easy and quick to do next is letters to MP and Parents

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CONSULTATIONS

just bumping this one up again. I've just completed this consultation and the one Sarah posted yesterday. I also did the short one on the UK Parliament website.

Please make sure you complete them, otherwise those agencies will be here before we know it and we'll have serious safeguarding issues on our hands. I can't believe that she will get this bill pushed through - no-one seems to be in favour of it.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This consultation has closed now - thank you to everyone who responded