BuggsieMoo Guest

Default live web chat with Ms Truss tomorrow from 1pm

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuggsieMoo View Post
    Missed it
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

BuggsieMoo Guest

You havent FussyElmo - the date is wrong in the link (thanks to Mumsnet) its actually on Thursday 7th at 1pm-2pm x

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Missed it
    oh its tomorrow - typical the one time I go into school to help with a trip I miss the sith lord. herself.

And yes to any star wars fans there is always two - her master is Darth Gove
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

5. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up, I've got my question in

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent questions - but I will also be surprised if you get a meaningful reply. I've added some comments below:

1) You state that we can or cannot join an agency that it would be up to the individual childminder -
    please tell me then what happens to the childminders who do not join up? Who will regulate them (as you state in your article that local agencies will be inspecting premises etc)?
    Ofsted. The Bill that has been laid before parliament doesn't remove any of the existing legislation regarding Ofsted, including the OBLIGATION on Ofsted to register any childminder that is not disqalified and meets the conditions of registration. Agencies will only inspect the premises of childminders they register.

2) You state that agencies will place the children and pay fees -
    will we as childminders get a say in which child is placed in OUR business (after all we are self employed, not employed)?
    What would happen if we refuse to take on a child (for a valid reason) - will we then be on an agency black list of not being flexible enough?
    What happens if parents do not pay the agency, will we get paid still irrespective and the agency can chase for their fees that are outstanding?
    How much of a percentage of our earnings will the agency take for the middle man?
    Who will set our fees?
    Who will decide when a childminder can take annual leave?
    To be honest the list is endless.
    I am sure that if you get an answer from Ms Truss it will be "wait and see what the people that want to form agencies come up with - market innovation and competition will make it work". My personal opinion is that these issues and many more cannot be resolved to the satisfaction of childminders, parents and any agency and so it may work after a fashion, but independent childminders will still be a better choice for parents.

3) I am a graded GOOD childminder - playing devils advocate, say I join an agency and I accept funded children. What if my grading falls below this (lets be honest now the inspection routine has changed dramatically of late) will I have my funded places removed?
    If you join an agency you will no longer be inspected by Ofsted and there is no indication that Agencies will provide gradings or if they will be comparable. In any case the proposal is that ANY childminder registered with an AGENCY that is graded good or outstanding will be able to offer 3 and 4 year old and 2 year old funded places. This has obviously not been thought through because according to the Bill laid before parliament, agencies are basically graded on the quality of their paperwork, NOT the standard of care provided to children.

4) You state a whole network of childminders agreed this idea -
    I would love to know who they are and where you sourced your information. As a childminder who has read the petitions, I am yet to see one or indeed meet any childminders who agree with your ludicrous ideas!
    5) You state that previously we couldnt offer spaces to twins (under the age of 1) due to current restrictions. Are you not aware that these restrictions were abolished in 2012 and we are now able to grant our own variations to allow this, if we felt we are capable.
    Yes this point does seem to have got lost somewhere. I hope my question on the Mumsnet webchat sheds some more light.

6) I already offered funded places in my role as a network childminder -
    if I refuse to join an agency does this mean I will also lose this?
    No, as per 3 above it is intended that anyone that qualifies can receive 2 and 3 & 4 year old funding whether they are registered by an agency or by Ofsted. Any local requirements, such as joining a childminder network, will no longer apply.

Aug 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A letter to Mr David Cameron MP and his Government regarding the proposed changes to the Early .docx

Having read another letter by colleagues and reading this thread I was inspired to concoct the attached. I would welcome your comments. Sarah please feel free to use any parts you feel may be useful

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Childrenatheart View Post
    A letter to Mr David Cameron MP and his Government regarding the proposed changes to the Early .docx

Having read another letter by colleagues and reading this thread I was inspired to concoct the attached. I would welcome your comments. Sarah please feel free to use any parts you feel may be useful
    Absolutely brilliantly said!

I think you should send it to the papers too!

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lisbet View Post
    Absolutely brilliantly said!

I think you should send it to the papers too!
    i totally agree!

send it to all of them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12