Childminders 'lag behind' - comments please!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  54
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,500
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Childminders 'lag behind' - comments please!

    Part of the aim of the Truss report is to -

    'attract more, high quality providers with new childminder agencies, which will recruit new people, train and guide them and lever up quality in an area of the sector that has lagged behind'

    This is talking about US - hard working, dedicated professional childminders.

    We apparently 'lag behind' nurseries and other providers

    Personally, I take exception to this comment and would like some statements from you guys to share with Ms Truss when I write to her.

    I will mention things like - inspectors who state they do not give childminders outstanding; ridiculous inspection actions; Ofsted document that stated new childminders would not be good enough to get good etc etc.

    If you feel like I do about this statement please share any more stories.

    You can PM me if you don't want to put them in the thread.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    288
    Registered Childminder since
    Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What frustrates me is that some inspectors say you cant get a good on first inspection. Why not ?? Its like saying you cant get an A the first time you take an exam !!

  3. Likes loocyloo, Ripeberry, Lilylulu liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    93
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 92
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Part of the aim of the Truss report is to -

    'attract more, high quality providers with new childminder agencies, which will recruit new people, train and guide them and lever up quality in an area of the sector that has lagged behind'

    This is talking about US - hard working, dedicated professional childminders.

    We apparently 'lag behind' nurseries and other providers

    Personally, I take exception to this comment and would like some statements from you guys to share with Ms Truss when I write to her.

    Thank you
    As a lowly childminder I have paid for , out of my income, and achieved more qualifications than many nursery staff. I have EYPS and now a Masters in Early Education. Where else do you find that sort of dedication. I also provide consultancy to other European countries, and the NCB because my practice is OUTSTANDING!

    Tunja

  5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    683
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree with all the points you mention.

    I also strongly object to the footnote on page 7 of the report:

    "Note: there are two main types of childcare provider for young children in England: nurseries and childminders. Nurseries are organisations providing early education and childcare delivered by multiple members of staff. Childminders are self-employed individuals who provide childcare, usually in their own home. The term ‘childminder’ is often incorrectly used to describe people who work in a nursery."

    Nurseries and childminders are ALL providing education AND childcare under the same EYFS framework, but Truss claims that in contrast to nurseries, childminders only provide "childcare".

  7. Likes *daisychain* liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    4,247
    Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Made me very cross too! I just feel that you can't beat childminders for providing a nuturing environment and for helping children live in the "real world" - life isn't about living in a miniature soft play cocoon that nurseries provide it is about being able to go out and about in the community in a family sized group on impulse - instead of planned trips with 20 other kids.

    Our schools - right from primary to secondary now have "nuture" units for children to go to when they can't cope, I bet not many children from childminding settings use these units as they have been nutured on a 1:3 ratio with a pair of arms that can fit round everyone whilst snuggled up for a story. Would like to see a qualified nursery teacher attempting that with 13 children!

  9. Likes caz3007, loocyloo, chriss, MrAnchovy liked this post
  10. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pixie Hollow!
    Posts
    1,936
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lagging behind!! How dare she say that!!

    One of my mindees Mum chose to use me instead of the local nursery for the following reasons,

    1. I make children feel loved and welcome.
    2. I have a home from home, caring ethos whereas the nursery was a bit clinical.
    3. I made Mum feel welcome when she visited, Mum felt like she was at a job interview when she visited the nursery.
    4. I have time to give each of my mindees special attention throughout the day.
    5. I write detailed daily diaries so Mum feels she hasnt missed out on anything.

    Lagging behind indeed! Can you tell Im really angry about that!!!
    If all else fails......add glitter!

  11. Likes loocyloo, Ripeberry, chriss liked this post
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,785
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    i had an inspector for my first inspection ( ofsted, but pre EYFS ) who said she had never visited a childminder before and was wowed with what i did and the resources i had ( she'd be on the floor if she saw what i have now! )

    i had a recommendation to work better with local preschools & nurseries - despite, at that point having NO children attending any! and having said/shown how i work with them. i have never heard of a preschool/nursery getting a recommendation to work better with other childcarers ie childminders, but we often are told we should work better!

    i am NNEB and montessori trained, i completed the cache level 3 DHC with an A grade and attend regular training courses, at least one a term, usually 2 or 3 as time permits.

    i would like to do an early years degree, but finding one that is suitable and that funding is available for is very hard. plus, with working 50 hrs/week and having a young family myself, its finding the time! but i WILL do it.

    i do also know an ofsted inspector who says childminders are amazing & incredible and she would hate to have to inspect one as we have to do everything a nursery does but on our own, and she doesn't know how we manage it!

  13. Likes silvermist, Ripeberry liked this post
  14. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    4,247
    Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The mum of my lastest baby mindee also visited a nursery after she saw me, then rang up to say she wanted me - I asked which Nursery she had visited and when she told me I said "but that nursery has outstanding in every area - I know that because a HUGE banner outside tells me!)" - she said "yes, but I really didn't like the baby room and I want you".

    The baby has now been coming 3 months, I sent home his LJ last weekend - his mum is really impressed with it and has asked if she can keep it a few more days to show her sister, who is a teacher.

  15. Likes loocyloo liked this post
  16. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Surrounded by pesky Smurfs
    Posts
    4,551
    Registered Childminder since
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    What frustrates me is that some inspectors say you cant get a good on first inspection. Why not ?? Its like saying you cant get an A the first time you take an exam !!
    Well I managed it and the first in my county ever! Problem is none of them sing from the same hymn sheet and next time I don't care what grade I get as I'm fed up with it all now
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

  17. Likes silvermist, loocyloo, Paulab liked this post
  18. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere West of Watford!!!
    Posts
    9,085
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Unfortunately I know many childminders like the ones she is referring to.

    The ones who never go to any training, who have been minding for years like me but don't see the point of doing anything other than that they have too. They they appear once every three years to do First Aid and Child Protection. They look forward to the formation of Agencies because there is the prospect that they will have to do even less because stuff like paperwork, chasing parents for money will be done for them. And yes they are very often full because they charge less than cms like me.

    I don't think her view is totally wrong, just too narrow.

  19. Likes Mouse, Carol M, MrAnchovy liked this post
  20. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pixie Hollow!
    Posts
    1,936
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The thing is, by saying 'childminders' are lagging behind she is more or less saying we all are, dont you think.
    If all else fails......add glitter!

  21. Likes Mouse, Ripeberry, loocyloo, Carol M liked this post
  22. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In LaLa Land
    Posts
    3,598
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Some examples of written comments from some of my current parents:

    Alice has been a positive influence in the development of our child.
    I don't think we would have such a contented child if it wasn't for Alice.
    Alices home has given X a safe place to play & learn where he can socialise with children both his own age and older which he probably would not have received at a nursery.
    On our initial visit to Alice we were impressed with the facilities both inside and out.
    We have been very impressed with the quality of home cooked food that is provided to the children.
    Alice ensures she consults us regarding X's routines and adapts her approach accordingly.
    Alice has provided a safe, fun, structured environment for us to leave X where he feels at home and happy - enhanced by Alices caring and supportive nature.
    We see our daughter do things that we haven't taught her, and we know it's down to Alice.
    I know my daughter is really cared for and made to feel a part of Alices family.
    While Childminders may not be for life, both my husband and I really hope that Alice will be X's only childminder until she doesn't need one any more!

    I think Ms Truss needs to get her facts right before she does anything else.

    xxx

  23. Likes silvermist, Ripeberry, loocyloo liked this post
  24. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,927
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silvermist View Post
    The thing is, by saying 'childminders' are lagging behind she is more or less saying we all are, dont you think.
    Completely agree. If only she'd said "some" childminders, or even "quite a few" childminders, but by saying it the way she has it implies ALL childminders.

    She should really have said "some childminders, but certainly not all, are lagging behind some nurseries, but are actually way ahead of others, which are quite frankly pretty awful.

  25. Likes loocyloo liked this post
  26. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    53
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I live in a village, there are a number of childminders, 3 of us are graded outstanding. The local school, nursery and pre-schools are grade as good. There the ones who are lagging behind.

  27. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,927
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Unfortunately I know many childminders like the ones she is referring to.

    The ones who never go to any training, who have been minding for years like me but don't see the point of doing anything other than that they have too. They they appear once every three years to do First Aid and Child Protection. They look forward to the formation of Agencies because there is the prospect that they will have to do even less because stuff like paperwork, chasing parents for money will be done for them. And yes they are very often full because they charge less than cms like me.

    I don't think her view is totally wrong, just too narrow.
    Very true as well. We all know of childminders who really only do the bare minimum (and only really that much when they have Ofsted coming). One in our local group keeps bleating on about how she's not a teacher, she just wants to be left to care for the children. She can't see that caring for children goes hand in hand with educating them. What she really means is she can't be bothered to do anything and hates being reminded of the fact that she doesn't. She really struggles to get work, despite her fees being really low, so is all ready to join an agency as she thinks it'll get her work without her having to do anything.
    Sometimes I think we forget that we speak to other like minded childminders on the forum and facebook groups, but we're probably a very small percentage of childminders over all. There are many out there who are definitely lagging behind, but it's not fair to lump us all together.

    My message to Ms Truss would be please don't generalise. Please understand and acknowledge that there are some excellent childminders out there who leave nurseries trailing in their wake.

  28. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pixie Hollow!
    Posts
    1,936
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Very true as well. We all know of childminders who really only do the bare minimum (and only really that much when they have Ofsted coming). One in our local group keeps bleating on about how she's not a teacher, she just wants to be left to care for the children. She can't see that caring for children goes hand in hand with educating them. What she really means is she can't be bothered to do anything and hates being reminded of the fact that she doesn't. She really struggles to get work, despite her fees being really low, so is all ready to join an agency as she thinks it'll get her work without her having to do anything.
    Sometimes I think we forget that we speak to other like minded childminders on the forum and facebook groups, but we're probably a very small percentage of childminders over all. There are many out there who are definitely lagging behind, but it's not fair to lump us all together.

    My message to Ms Truss would be please don't generalise. Please understand and acknowledge that there are some excellent childminders out there who leave nurseries trailing in their wake.



    Well said Mouse!
    If all else fails......add glitter!

  29. Likes loocyloo liked this post
  30. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North west
    Posts
    863
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As with all statitisics there are 2 ways to look at this.

    Childminders are 71% outstanding/good, and nurseries are 81% outstanding/good, in 2011/2012 Ofsted Report

    Turn this around to the following equation and i think they are missing a major point:

    Childminder child places is 227,127. So with 27% being rated satisfactory that equates to 61,324 children being in these under-performing settings.

    Nursery/pre-school child places 927,272. So with 19% being satisfactory that equates to 176,181 children being in these under-performing settings.

    Looking at the figures this way would suggest to that actually more children are impacted by nurseries/pre-schools being satisfactory, so surely that is were the biggest problem lies.

    Another interesting statistic that i would love to know out of the 10,843 childminders inspected in 2011/2012, how many of these were new childminders on their first inspection who got told they could only get a satisfactory as they were new. In 2011/2012 6,074 nurseries/pre-schools were inspected, however how many of these were brand new businesses and not part of a big chain of nurseries? How many of these were told because you are brand new you will only get a satisfactory???? My guess is very few, however 19% of them still managed to get a satisfactory.

  31. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in the never never land fighting off fae
    Posts
    6,989
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    I do agree with previous posts about it being wrong to generalise but I do know cms who she is talking about however Im also sure there is pleny of nurseries who lag behind cms.

    One of my gripes is that my local preschool LJ's dont come anywhere near mine - sounds big headed. But my friend showed me there amd there was about 4 obs in the term - a one line comment x is washing their hands. No links to the eyfs and no next next steps and was graded good. Can you imagine the downgrading we would get for not linking to the eyfs.

    Comments about cant get better than a satistifactory are wrong. Also when they get their facts wrong and mark us down.

    Grr to the woman and her daft proposals and deeply insulting comments. Can you imagine the outrage if someone reported Ms Truss is an mp however she is lagging behind some of the other mps
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

  32. Likes silvermist, Ripeberry, loocyloo liked this post
  33. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pixie Hollow!
    Posts
    1,936
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I do agree with previous posts about it being wrong to generalise but I do know cms who she is talking about however Im also sure there is pleny of nurseries who lag behind cms.

    One of my gripes is that my local preschool LJ's dont come anywhere near mine - sounds big headed. But my friend showed me there amd there was about 4 obs in the term - a one line comment x is washing their hands. No links to the eyfs and no next next steps and was graded good. Can you imagine the downgrading we would get for not linking to the eyfs.

    Comments about cant get better than a satistifactory are wrong. Also when they get their facts wrong and mark us down.

    Grr to the woman and her daft proposals and deeply insulting comments. Can you imagine the outrage if someone reported Ms Truss is an mp however she is lagging behind some of the other mps
    I have also seen some of our local nurseries LJs and mine are so much more detailed, showing links to eyfs and next steps etc. My DO commented that mine were some of the nicest ones she'd seen, and yes that does sound big headed of me but I work my butt off to produce them as its not just a folder full of obs etc, but for the parents its a scrapbook of their child's early years!
    If all else fails......add glitter!

  34. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
  35. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    1,535
    Registered Childminder since
    may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Tarred with the same brush unfortunately, many in our profession that I am ashamed to call Childminders.
    I find her comment deeply offensive,probably as do the many Childminders out there who put their life and soul into the care and education of the children, who constantly strive with a passion to improve their knowledge and understanding in all aspects of child development,to give each and every child the best possible start in life and give them the skills to succeed.
    I fear Ms Truss doesn't have an ounce of passion for the children, just an ill conceived idea as to how to save money
    Carol x

  36. Likes silvermist, Ripeberry, loocyloo, lisbet liked this post
 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Childminders 'lag behind' - comments please! Childminders 'lag behind' - comments please! Childminders 'lag behind' - comments please!

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk