Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had heard something about this starting in September, but it was swiftly followed by "can't see it working/happening though"
    Something about most schools already being at full capacity in the Foundation stage department and not having the funding to build bigger buildings.
    My understanding of it was that they would get the funding for the children, but when you factor in new resources, including appropriate seating and tables and equipment plus the extra staff needed for bigger numbers there wouldn't be an awful lot of money left over.
    Also there are currently more 2 year olds than available EYFS spaces, so while they might be able to do it this year for the 3 year olds, next year they would still be full with 3 and 4 year olds that hadn't gone into school and there would be no spaces for the current 2 year olds.
    It is what I understood from what was said and I may very well be wrong!!!

I can't see preschool staff being happy changing more nappies, struggling with half a class that can't speak and twice the number of children.
    And where in this propasal do the children come in, it's been proven that 2 year olds thrive in a homebased environment, with small numbers and more one to one attaention, the 2 year project has proved it more than once.

Is this just a case of money talking rather than what's best for the children?

I thought we were trying to follow a more European route, and with some of the lowest literacy levels in Europe I think we should be looking at what they do right and we do differently and trying to follow their example, most children in Europe recieve no formal education until they're 7.

I understand some children are ready to learn earlier but surely that can be catered for when we plan from the child and meet individual children's needs?!?!?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i shared the info last night with a friend who works at a local preschool... they had their LA early years teacher bod in this morning ... who didn't know anything about it and said they shouldn't listen to rumours! to which my friend replied, the info may not be 110% correct, but its not just a rumour!

..sent said bod scuttling off to find out

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

.... I did hear on the news that the government were about to release funds for school building improvements after cancelling the grants a few years ago. Didn't pay too much attention, but might the money be going to primary schools to be able to accomodate the younger children?....

....Also, all the best school round here are heavily oversubscribed. I think parents would send there children in from the word go just to guarenteed them a place. So whilst they may want to defer, they may be worried that their child may not get a place at a later stage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12