Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Tax and paying

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tax and paying

I have had until I submit my 2016/17 tax return a rough estimate I assume based from last years earnings of how much I have to pay HMRC this January and July.
    My childminding income has reduce significantly and although I am able to give them the £1000 for tax due for January, I am not making enough now to even cover putting away £200 a mth to cover July
    Has anyone ever been in this situation
    Should I call HMRC to explain this?

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat View Post
    I have had until I submit my 2016/17 tax return a rough estimate I assume based from last years earnings of how much I have to pay HMRC this January and July.
    My childminding income has reduce significantly and although I am able to give them the £1000 for tax due for January, I am not making enough now to even cover putting away £200 a mth to cover July
    Has anyone ever been in this situation
    Should I call HMRC to explain this?
    Yes definitely speak to them, there is a section on the return that you can apply to have the payment on account set aside and one of the reasons is a reduction in income. Last January I managed to make the payment on account for January but was struggling to put money away for July so I submitted in April and because my earnings were less I didn't have to make that payment on account and I only have £13 to pay by the end of January xx

It is a 'Payment on Account' for the tax for next year which comes into affect if you owe more than £1000 tax and NI in a tax year - the two payments are each half of the tax and NI paid for the year submitted. x
    Last edited by tulip0803; 05-12-2016 at 11:59 AM.

3. Likes sarah707 liked this post