Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: fuel costs

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fuel costs

Hi, I don't normally use a car for my job so unsure about this- I did a school run and trip to the cafe with a mindee the other day in the car...can I claim the fuel for this or not? If so, do I need proof, and is it correct that it's 45p per mile? What about trips to another minder's house for a play date, or if I take them to the shops to buy craft supplies? Also what about if I make a car trip specifically to buy equipment, e.g. I went all the way across the country a few months ago to buy a triple buggy, does the fuel count for that? I know I could ask hmrc directly, but I feel if someone on here is in the know, then I can avoid a lengthy phone call or trying to find a specific web page that confuses me! Thanks x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is mileage I am doing purely for CM purposes then I claim. I keep a log of my mileage (keep a pen and paper in car and note: date/mile done/purpose).

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

And do you then enter it as a lump sum in your accounts book at the end of each week? I use the PACEY accounts book x

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As Moggy said, keep a business mileage log, add up all the business miles for that week/month, then multiply each mile by 45p as that is the current allowance for business miles.
    That is the then the amount you can claim for that week or month, however you do your accounts

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redtiger21 View Post
    And do you then enter it as a lump sum in your accounts book at the end of each week? I use the PACEY accounts book x
    I add it up for the year and put it at the bottom of the 'Travel/Outings £' column of the Pacey/NCMA accounts book. I then keep my record sheet from the car (dates/miles driven/purpose) in with my accounts book in case I ever need to refer back.

No need to break it down weekly/monthly unless you personally want to keep check on that for some reason. Tax is only based on the whole 12 month period.

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok so the fact that I'm keeping a detailed note of it all is proof enough for the tax man?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You can also claim an extra .05p per mile for each assistant/colleague in the vehicle with you. So if you and a fellow childminder did training together and you drove, claim .50p per mile
    Debbie

8. Likes funemnx liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    You can also claim an extra .05p per mile for each assistant/colleague in the vehicle with you. So if you and a fellow childminder did training together and you drove, claim .50p per mile
    Thanks for the reminder Chatterbox, I drove to a Provider evening last week and took 3 other minders - I would have forgotten about the extra 5p - meeting was 13 miles each way so that's an extra £1.30 I can claim.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Thanks for the reminder Chatterbox, I drove to a Provider evening last week and took 3 other minders - I would have forgotten about the extra 5p - meeting was 13 miles each way so that's an extra £1.30 I can claim.
    If you had 3 extra it would be 13 miles x 2 = 26 miles x .15p = £3.90
    Debbie

Aug2013
    Post Thanks / Like

Chatterbox childcare I have just started doing school pick ups. The school is 2 miles away from where I live so I should be claiming for 4 miles not 2. Am I right? It looks like I will have to redo my calculations haha. Hate maths

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happiness View Post
    Chatterbox childcare I have just started doing school pick ups. The school is 2 miles away from where I live so I should be claiming for 4 miles not 2. Am I right? It looks like I will have to redo my calculations haha. Hate maths
    Yes 4 miles each time
    Debbie

13. Likes Happiness liked this post
    Aug2013
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Chatterbox. You are a star