Can I claim for a new computer
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can I claim for a new computer

My computer is on its last legs and I use it for all things childminding - photos, forms, pamphlets, contracts, accounts. It used to be used 50% of the time for gaming etc but with the advent of iPads and other tablets is now rarely used for anything other than childminding business. So can I claim the entire cost as an expense? It would be in the region of £1000 (hopefully less).

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can claim it but it will be the business percentage only and you cannot put the whole lot through in one year. You will need to spread it as a capital allowance over a few years. Look at Capital Allowances on the hmrc.gov.uk help pages
    Debbie

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    Yes you can claim it but it will be the business percentage only and you cannot put the whole lot through in one year. You will need to spread it as a capital allowance over a few years. Look at Capital Allowances on the hmrc.gov.uk help pages
    I'm in a similar situation now the kids have left home and my husband has his own laptop, the computer is only used for childminding work - desperately needs updating - have filled up the memory with all the photos & videos!

Jun 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I have looked at every conceivable article on capital expenditure on hmrc's wondrous site and am none the wiser?! I want to know limits - like we know our personal tax allowance before we submit our returns. And how much they tax you and when if not for this period? Can anyone advise??

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry I have given you the wrong information - CA are for cars

You need to put it against Annual Investment Allowance - see this link HM Revenue & Customs: Annual Investment Allowance
    Debbie

Jun 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep.....still none the wiser!!?
    When I file my tax return I take off expenditure, minus my personal allowance and I am taxed 25% (roughly speaking) on what's left. Simple!
    What do I do with AIA? Is there a separate box on the tax return? How much do I claim? How much do they tax me on what I claim?
    To be honest I will prob put the whole amount through normal expenditure and if/when I get audited they can sort it because life really is too short to try and wade through hmrc's explanations!!
    Unless anyone can provide a clear step by step guide for idiots!!?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fitrix View Post
    Yep.....still none the wiser!!?
    When I file my tax return I take off expenditure, minus my personal allowance and I am taxed 25% (roughly speaking) on what's left. Simple!
    What do I do with AIA? Is there a separate box on the tax return? How much do I claim? How much do they tax me on what I claim?
    To be honest I will prob put the whole amount through normal expenditure and if/when I get audited they can sort it because life really is too short to try and wade through hmrc's explanations!!
    Unless anyone can provide a clear step by step guide for idiots!!?
    It is just another box, part of expenses, so it is up to you if you just want to add them in - same result in the end
    Debbie