Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Maternity Pay

Registered Childminder since
    Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maternity Pay

Hi, this might be a really strange question - I cannot seem to find anyone else that has asked it. I am new to childminding - since about July last year and am thinking of having another baby (would love one!!) the only problem is money is tight, so my husband wants me to find out if I qualify for any statutory maternity pay. I would need to take a few weeks off, but don't plan on taking much leave. All the information I can find is about emploee's - nothing about if you work for yourself. I am new to this whole being self-employed thing - If anyone has any advice, or good websites, I would appreciate any suggestions...next choice is to phone hmrc helpline :-(

Many thanks,
    Sherri

Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sure I have seen somewhere that you are entitled to maternity pay but cant remember where. I do remember reading about how long people have off for maternity leave, some being a few months and some a few weeks. Sorry probably not much help, hope someone else can give you am better answer

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This link should answer some of your questions about how we can be eligible for statutory pay
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...en/DG_10018869

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya, you should be able to claim maternity allowance if you are up to date with your NI contributions. I was off on mat leave last year for 9 months, I think I got approx £120 per week. You should be able to find info on the Directgov website.

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately the information on DirectGov is not very clear because it mixes up the criteria for employed and self employed women.

The situation for the self employed is actually fairly simple - if you have paid six months worth of Class 2 NI contributions you can claim the full rate of Maternity Allowance (not SMP), currently £128.73 per week, for up to 39 weeks.

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much - that clears it up - so I just need to double check that I'm paying class 2 NI :-)

Yay - thanks for all your help :-)