Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you use an accountant?

I have just submitted my accounts to an accountant as I've only been childminding a year and didn't fancy submitting my self assessement.

He is charging £400 - wow that seems a lot of money doesn't it?

Next year I think I will do it myself, once I know that what I am claiming for is correct.

Does anyone else pay this much?

Thanks,
    Linda.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have used an accountant from day one, but she charges less than half that.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not started childminding yet, but i have been running my own business for over 10 years and only the first two years used and accountant.

I use a software package called 'Quick Books Simple Start which costs £99 + VAT when I receive my self assessment forms I just print of my years accounts take them to HMRC (appointment only) and they tell me where to put my figures and then I sign. I am usually there no more than 20 minutes. Thats it, I get a letter back in a few weeks notifying me of any taxes owing.

The package is easy to use and at a click of a button I can get all different reports.

You have all your parents details in one place, what services they have had through out the month and how much they owe, you can send invoices and statements out via email etc you can even add your logo to invoices and statements it all looks so professional.

http://quickbooks.intuit.co.uk/small...ting/index.jsp
    By being true to myself I live life to the full

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by linda2girls View Post
    I have just submitted my accounts to an accountant as I've only been childminding a year and didn't fancy submitting my self assessement.

Next year I think I will do it myself, once I know that what I am claiming for is correct.

Thanks,
    Linda.
    I would shop around in future as that sounds way to much!!!
    By being true to myself I live life to the full

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have an accountant. I will admit that my first tax return was difficult and caused some stress but only because my old employer wasn't giving me the info I needed- so even an accountant wouldn't have been able to complete it!

This year was much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use an accountant either - £400 seems a bit steep to me, did you get any other quotes?

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello and good morning to you all.

I DO have an accountant as I'm not very confident with maths/money and getting it right etc.

My accountant is brill BUT is HALF the price of yours.......I would defo shop around first before continuing
    wow 2012 already

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by linda2girls View Post

Thanks,
    Linda.
    That is a lot, we use one and he charges £180 +VAT and he does everything we just send it all to him.

I would certainly look around

Apr 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a meeting with him tomorrow morning and I'm seriously thinking of telling him that I won't use him.

I think I've claimed everything I can and it looks like I'm only going to pay tax on £900 so this year it's probably worth trying to fill in the self assessment myself.

Not looking forward to the meeting now, but I'll see what he says.

Thanks for all your replies.

Linda.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

if you use the NCMA account book its easy to fill your own tax return it at the end of the year. I was dreading my first one and set aside a whole afternoon to do it but it literaly takes 30 mins as you are only really filling in a couple of boxes!

even quicker online as it only asks you to fill in the sections you need to too.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I started minding 2 years ago having never been self employed before. I write all my expenses down in the NCMA accounts book. The book gives some info on what you can and cannot claim for, and there is more help in various places in this forum too.

The accounts book gets you to work out weekly and monthly totals. Then at the end of the year you request a tax form from HMRC and transfer the info over.
    Grindal