Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tax return question

I have received the usual short tax return form. I usually complete it and send it back asap. Then as you know we get the tax bill to be paid before the next January. However I was wondering, because the tax return says it must be sent back by 31st January 2012, which is the very last date for it to be accepted. So how come when I send mine in long before this I then get my tax bill which also states must be paid in before the 31st. Surely if I left my form until 31st, I wouldn't have chance to get my tax bill and pay it the same date. I hope this makes sense (I do waffle!) What do you think? Thank you
    Julie X X

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The last lodge date is 31st Jan and that is when the tax is due. If you want to lodge it that late then you need to do it online so you know what to pay immediately

Failure to lodge and pay is £100

I believe that the last time for them to work out paper returns is 30th September.

Mr A should be along to confirm any answers
    Debbie

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    The last lodge date is 31st Jan and that is when the tax is due. If you want to lodge it that late then you need to do it online so you know what to pay immediately

Failure to lodge and pay is £100

I believe that the last time for them to work out paper returns is 30th September.

Mr A should be along to confirm any answers
    Gotcha! makes sense now. Thank you.xx
    Julie X X

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

Since 2008 the deadline for paper returns has been 31 October, and they will calculate the tax due even if it is late (but you will get a penalty). There are some exceptions to the deadline however, so if HMRC have notified you of a later date then that will apply.

jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I havent had a tax return yet. Should i be concerned. I know i should be getting one.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlie potato View Post
    I havent had a tax return yet. Should i be concerned. I know i should be getting one.
    You should have completed one for each year you have worked as a childminder, even if you have made a loss or not enough for a profit.

Call the HMRC and reg as self employed and they will sort it out. You should have paid NI aswell unless you have an exemption
    Debbie