TAX - Food - no idea...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    onceinabluemoon Guest

Default TAX - Food - no idea...

I'm trying to work out what would be a fair weekly estimate to put down for food for 3 full time mindees 2 course dinners and two snacks per day plus drinks.

I buy good quality food (usually in waitrose/sainsbury), try to always get organic meat, veg, and fruit etc and only buy good cuts of meat, not pork bellies etc (Yes I am a food snob, i was married to a chef, what can I say...)

Last year I allowed 10 pounds per child (2 pounds per day) but the hipp toddler meals one parent insisted her child was fed cost more than this alone, then there is fruit, juice etc

I don't want to be dishonest but at the same time dont want to do myself. I did think about doing a percentage of our weekly shop but then realised I buy some in waitrose, some in co-op, some in Boots, some at the local shop... you get the picture...

PLease help!

Any ideas please?

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: TAX - Food - no idea...

I just keep all my supermarket receipts and highlight the items used in my minding.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the same as June now and if it's something the family eat too - I do a % of it.

Steak mince (I am a snob too then!) 4 family and 2 mindees - I would prob call them a portion between them so call it 5 portions - write 20% by the side and cost then highlight it.

Anything just for them like yoghurt - 100%
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

onceinabluemoon Guest

I'll have to remember that for the future, thank you

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have got into the habit of keeping all receipts, its amazing how much is for Minding, and without the receipts I would forget a lot of it. I have an envelope for each month and i put it in under 2 headings Food and Equipment, seems to work for me . Sometimes I find a receipt in a handbag or pocket months later , but I just add it into the correct envelope

onceinabluemoon Guest

lol, I also use the envelope system for all receipts but as we only need to do an estimate for food and drinks chose not to keep receipts for that (I hoard enough rubbish already, lol!)

Ah well I will probably just go with the tenner per week per child this time and keep all my receipts next year...

nov 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I just put down £5 for each full time child a day = breakfast. 2 x snacks and dinner.

I give a good dinner eg spag bol. chicken curry n rice, cottage pie n veg and a pudding. Some weeks I am doing myself.

I know a cm who puts down £10 a day and just give soup or beans.

The after school children I put down £3 week .

Dont keep the receipt every week as well

onceinabluemoon Guest

Thank you that's very helpful

I'd completely forgotten that most of the time I ended up doing breakfasts as well as dinners (and of course all those little packs of rice cakes, raisins etc that you invariably need) and it sounds as if your meals are very similar to mine (apart from the toddler on baby food!)

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    lol, I also use the envelope system for all receipts but as we only need to do an estimate for food and drinks chose not to keep receipts for that (I hoard enough rubbish already, lol!)

Ah well I will probably just go with the tenner per week per child this time and keep all my receipts next year...
    we have to keep receipts if we are supplying food in case of food poisoning - sorry
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of ways people do this but I take my receipt and deduct anything for the family only (wine, clothes etc) and then deduct for childminding only (put this down 100%). The balance is divided by the number of amily members and mindees giving a "per head" figure. Multiply the figure by the number of mindees and that is what I use

I was shown this method by a member of the IR years ago.

My after schoolers eat more than £3 per day - think you might rethink that one if you are feeding them. A piece of fruit is .50p
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont forget to put down cleaning materials, toilet roll ect that you will use more of because you are minding.
    (I read that info from Debbie on other threads )

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge extra for meals so I don't put any food through my books - is that correct?

I must admit I don't keep all my receipts though I must make sure I do from now on if it's a requirement!
    Cazz x

onceinabluemoon Guest

If you charge extra for food then you have extra income so yes do put food through your books or you are diddling yourself!

Re food receipts. I do keep them for the 3 months that environmental health require (in my location*) but do not have the room in my tiny little house to keep every little receipt for food, sundries etc for 8 years as tax requires so just keep the ones we have to for tax - I thought this was a sensible compromise.

Re the toilet roll etc, thank you for that. I presently have one lad who goes through a roll a day at times! Goodness knows what he does with it!!

(*Caz I would check in your area if the duration for keeping them is the same as EHO rules seem to vary across the country)

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

So it can be rough? I sat down and worked out exactly and it took ages! And I know I miss little bit out here and there...
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

onceinabluemoon Guest

HMRC website states " Food and drink: reasonable estimates for the costs of food and drink provided for children being cared for are acceptable and receipts will not be required."

I found it by accident whilst looking for something else.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/BIM52751.htm

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

ooohhh..... I like that!
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont keep receipts. when i first started i worked out what it roughly cost me to feed them and since then have put a set amount down for each child per day. its what all my friends do and have been doing for years.

been minding now 3 years and havnt put the amount up but think i will when i do my accounts at the end of this month.

i also put down a set amount at the end of each month that covers toiletries and cleaning things.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by venus89 View Post
    So it can be rough? I sat down and worked out exactly and it took ages! And I know I miss little bit out here and there...
    If you have the same children each week you could add all your receipts up and do it weekly, monthly or even yearly. Should take less time that way
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cazz View Post
    I charge extra for meals so I don't put any food through my books - is that correct?

I must admit I don't keep all my receipts though I must make sure I do from now on if it's a requirement!
    If you are getting an income you need to put the expense through to balance it out, otherwise you are personally paying for their food
    Debbie