Expenses Help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Expenses Help

BuggsieMoo Guest

Default Expenses Help

Hi

Ive been minding for 4 years now, but I know full well that I have not claimed on my expenses all the I can.

Please can someone answer the following for me:

1) I have a land line and a mobile - both of which I use for my business as well as personal use. What can I claim for these as I do text and call parents from both?
    2) I am currently doing my level 3 at a cost of £234 and I have not yet put this into my accounts book, am I correct in presuming that I can as had I not been a childminder, then I would not be doing my level 3?

Thanks all

Lisa x

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

personally i defo do course, i'd never have questioned it as it is further training, like a safeguarding course.
    The other, i'd get itemised bills and highlight the parent numbers and put through the books. that will be no problem. If you have only got the mobile for work then i suppose the percentage thing may come into it.
    xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are not sure about any tax related issues the best advice is to contact HMRC and check with them

BuggsieMoo Guest

Thanks Sarah - for my mobile I am going to claim 50% of my monthly line rental as my calls and texts are included in the price and this phone is used on a 50/50 split for personal and business. For my landline, I will claim any calls I make that are cm related as this is used more for personal use then my mobile. Thanks for the help
    Lisa x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LMHALL View Post
    Thanks Sarah - for my mobile I am going to claim 50% of my monthly line rental as my calls and texts are included in the price and this phone is used on a 50/50 split for personal and business. For my landline, I will claim any calls I make that are cm related as this is used more for personal use then my mobile. Thanks for the help
    Lisa x
    Yes to all costs relating to training, don't forget the mileage and babysitting costs too

As to the phone just guessing is no good. You need an itemised bill for each month for both phones and highlight the exact calls and claim that.
    Debbie

BuggsieMoo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    Yes to all costs relating to training, don't forget the mileage and babysitting costs too

As to the phone just guessing is no good. You need an itemised bill for each month for both phones and highlight the exact calls and claim that.
    Thats what I plan to do with my landline. However all I pay for my mobile is line rental as it includes all my calls and texts in the bundle I have. I use it mainly for work but as I do use it for personal as well then I presume 50% of line rental is fine. If I itemised each call then it would be zero as I dont pay for any of them. Hope that makes sense.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LMHALL View Post
    Thats what I plan to do with my landline. However all I pay for my mobile is line rental as it includes all my calls and texts in the bundle I have. I use it mainly for work but as I do use it for personal as well then I presume 50% of line rental is fine. If I itemised each call then it would be zero as I dont pay for any of them. Hope that makes sense.
    tax office don't accept guessing - you need to do the same with your mobile. Divide the cost of the rental by the total number of text and calls to get a per useage cost and then multiply by the number of cm calls.

Sorry it is a pain but they may disallow it if you don't
    Debbie