Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Update from IR on Claiming for a Boiler Service

I spoke to David Brethon in the Manchester central office of the IR and the answer was an emphatic NO.

The reasons for this is: we would have it serviced anyway and the replacement costs would come under wear and tear.
    Debbie

aly Guest

Default Re: Update from IR on Claiming for a Boiler Service

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    I spoke to David Brethon in the Manchester central office of the IR and the answer was an emphatic NO.

The reasons for this is: we would have it serviced anyway and the replacement costs would come under wear and tear.
    oh damn it, i need to recalculate then!

thanks debbie

x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't have an on call boiler service if I wasn't a childminder though... because if it was just me and my family I'd wait and call out a local person.

I only pay for 24 hour protection because of my job so I will continue to claim a percentage of that.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I wouldn't have an on call boiler service if I wasn't a childminder though... because if it was just me and my family I'd wait and call out a local person.

I only pay for 24 hour protection because of my job so I will continue to claim a percentage of that.

I feel exactly the same. Especially as as I type I am having a brand new Central Heating System fitted, new boiler new radiator so if I wasn't Minding there is no way I would consider a Gas Service plan. In the past as Sarah I would for the family have been happy to use someone local. It would have been cheaper and more reliable.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought that a boiler service is different to an "on call" service. I was relating this to a once a year service that I have done.
    Debbie

mar 03
    Post Thanks / Like

I pay 20 pound a month for 24 hour cover only because once I had it fail on me and it was freezing. No hot water or heating for mindees. For us was inconvenient but have fire in family room so I took out boiler protection so I never have to cancel again. I put a percentage through.

sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I will still claim too as I feel that if it does break down we would be really stuck. I only have it as *****mind and wouldn't worry so much if not.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i claim half my mainatnance contract. after being without heating for nearly 2 wks over christmas 2 years ago waiting for local tradesman to fix it i now have british gas on a 24 hr call out. i wouldnt have it if i didnt mind and i cant afford to take tiem off because of no heating, and will argue that fact if the IR ever question it.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

NOTE - this refers to a boiler service and NOT a maintenance contract
    Debbie

Dec 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I always claim for boiler and fire servicing as it is a requirement of my registration and if I wasnt CM I wldnt have it done by a corgi reg fitter as my dad is a retired heating engineer and wld do it for me!! and every guy who's come to do my service has said u dopnt really need it done annually - every 2yrs is enough but CSSIW ask for annually - I do try and stretch it out tho!!!

That's my justification anyway!!

TheBTeam Guest

Well, I am claiming for the policy that i have just taken out, which covers emergency cover and an annual boiler service, my reason is that previously it has been done by my brother in law foc (fully qualified), so no need for it, but now he has changed businesses and is no longer able to do it for us.

So i have to pay for the protection, if i wasnt childminding my kids are a bit older and out most of the day I would wait until i could plead for some of my bils time or wait for another local plumber i know (or move out if i had to), but I have now taken this as i cant risk being unable to work with small children in my home all day, (I took the view that currently one weeks lost wages is the cost of the annual plan, surely a safeguard for any business worth taking!)

So I am claiming and will argue my case if i have to!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

A boiler maintenance service sounds a good thing to have with this job - can you have one of these with British Gas even if they're not your gas supplier?

Or is there someone cheaper than British Gas? I think that I may look into this - I'd hate to be without heating.

Also, can you get a boiler serviced at any time of year - i.e. in the New Year as I'll have been using it almost continously? I must admit I haven't had mine serviced this year (it's a relatively new boiler) but I dare say you're going to say I must because of childminding! Wasn't sure if it's supposed to be done before the weather turns really cold and you start using it lots? (I do have a carbon monoxide detector in the utility room where the boiler is).
    Cazz x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cazz View Post
    A boiler maintenance service sounds a good thing to have with this job - can you have one of these with British Gas even if they're not your gas supplier?

Or is there someone cheaper than British Gas? I think that I may look into this - I'd hate to be without heating.

Also, can you get a boiler serviced at any time of year - i.e. in the New Year as I'll have been using it almost continously? I must admit I haven't had mine serviced this year (it's a relatively new boiler) but I dare say you're going to say I must because of childminding! Wasn't sure if it's supposed to be done before the weather turns really cold and you start using it lots? (I do have a carbon monoxide detector in the utility room where the boiler is).
    I don't have a maintenance contract as I have heard too many complaints about "lack of service" from BG. I have my serviced each year between April and Oct and if I have a breakdown they will come out immediately. Last week I lost my heating and there was an engineer there at 10am on Sunday morning and then the faulty part was replaced by 12 the next day.

Ring around your local plumbers and get some prices.
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cazz View Post

I am with Eon they are cheaper than British Gas.

Many years ago my boiler broke and it cost me an absolute fortune!!

Since then I wouldn't be without my service plan.

OCT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntym View Post
    I pay 20 pound a month for 24 hour cover only because once I had it fail on me and it was freezing. No hot water or heating for mindees. For us was inconvenient but have fire in family room so I took out boiler protection so I never have to cancel again. I put a percentage through.
    HOPE YOU DON'T MIND ME ASKING BUT WHAT PERCENTAGE DO YOU PUT THROUGH? WHEN PEOPLE SAY I PUT THROUGH A PERCENTAGE I NEVER KNOW HOW MUCH I SHOULD USE.
    THANKS KAREN

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just about to ask the same thing!?

Claire x