Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Playroom expenses??

Hi,
    Im in the middle of changing the furniture in my back room to make it more into a playroom than a dining room.
    Im downsizing my dining table from a 6 seater to a four seater, and changing my big 8ft display cabinet to a side board - to store all the bookwork, EYFS etc in and also so i can put toys on the top that will be accessable for the children to reach. Ive even downsized our pet birds cage as i had a huge 6ft by 4ft one which took up a lot of space, ive now got a child size table and bench set for the children to do crafts in that space and the bird has a nice new smaller cage.
    Because im only doing this to make more room for the children, would i be able to claim the table and chairs and sideboard as expenses?? and the birds cage?
    Thanks x

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Playroom expenses??

Dont think you can claim the bird cage or the sideboard, might have done if it was a filing cabinet or storage unit, not sure about the table and chairs could come under 10% wear and tear,,,,, someone will come along later with more knowledge.

Straws xx

aly Guest

i would say no to birds cage as that is not arequirement ...you chose to have abird etc....not sure on others my feeling would be yes but not sure.

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

The sideboard is for storage as my files are in the bottom of the display unit at the mo, and if i change this then it will be more space for childrens toys at their level. Thanks for your replies though xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would agree a no to the bird cage as you already have the bird so it wasn't purchased for the children.

As to the table and sideboard - I think yes to the table as you are not replacing it because of wear and tear but the sideboard I question as you don't have to have anything so, I am presuming, expensive compared to a filing cabinet.

Ring the IR and get their opinion and get a name too to put in your accounts for future reference.
    Debbie