Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Car Mileage Again (Help)

Hi there,

Can anyone please help me with this, I am going to try to to do my tax return myself this year, the thing is I have loads of receipts for deisel and I have not recorded any mileage. I have read things about claiming car tax etc instead of mileage how does this work any advice?
    Shelly xx

TheBTeam Guest

Default Re: Car Mileage Again (Help)

If you had the same car last year and claimed mileage costs then you can not change to capital depreciation in your accounts until you change your car.

You need to remember all of the journeys you made, put them in a list with date, destination and number of miles, total these up and then claim them at 40p per mile where you were the only adult, and you can add 5p per mile extra where you took another adult saving them from using their car, ie taking another minder to a course etc.

feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi TheBTeam,

I changed my car in Aug 2009, how do you change to capital depreciation?
    Shelly xx

TheBTeam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shelly04 View Post
    Hi TheBTeam,

I changed my car in Aug 2009, how do you change to capital depreciation?
    Hi, not sure of the exact details, I know Debbies26 uses this, but you can check on the IR website and search for capital depriciation for cars etc and quite a lot of information comes up, the exact amounts depend on the car you have.

To do this you have to keep full business accounts which I think means all receipts as well as those under £10 and you cant fill out a three line tax return you have to have and enter a break down of your expenditure etc.

Not sure it is worth doing, but it depends on how many business miles you do a year.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to have full accurate mileage to claim as you need to work out the business percentage. Can you work back to August 09 from your paperwork to see where you went.

You can work out the starting mileage when you purchased the car and you can look at what it is now and then take off what you have used this year.

If you are able to to do this then pm me and I will try and talk you through the rest
    Debbie