Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    business
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Expences for children furniture

Hello,
    I cant found similar situation so i hope someone can advice to me here.
    I bought furniture for childrens room as sofa chairs shelves bedding, and how i can claim expenses for these? can i claim full amount or partial? thanks

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You have to be very careful saying that you have a room in your house which is 100% for childminding because you risk HMRC saying you have changed the use of your house from domestic to business - and that has a huge effect on all sorts of things.

It's generally best to claim a percentage of the cost and say that some of it is used by your family and some by childminded children...

Work out a percentage you think is fair and go with it for all big purchases

Non childminder member
    business
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    You have to be very careful saying that you have a room in your house which is 100% for childminding because you risk HMRC saying you have changed the use of your house from domestic to business - and that has a huge effect on all sorts of things.

It's generally best to claim a percentage of the cost and say that some of it is used by your family and some by childminded children...

Work out a percentage you think is fair and go with it for all big purchases
    But I have my childminding business at home.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kristinutem View Post
    But I have my childminding business at home.
    It is to do with the problem of saying a part of your property is EXCLUSIVELY for childminding. Yes, all of our CMing businesses are at our homes but each room we use is also used by our families. Best to say the 'children's room' you refer to is used by the family too... but that is a technicality...

So, putting that issue aside, if you buy furniture just for CMing (little table and chairs, say) I can not see a problem with that going 100% on expenses as a resource for your business.

If your own children/family will also use them then you do a %. The sofa, for example, you might want to do a % as other family members may sit on it (as it is not a CMing-only room, is it?! ).

But some children's bedding for CMing use could be put through 100%, as could a shelf unit if only storing CMing stuff.

Non childminder member
    business
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, these furniture are from childrens range so they are childrens size, i do have my own child so of course he uses this furniture sometimes but mostly it is for chilminders use. i do probably % calculation, hope it will be fear calculation thanks everyone for advice

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I bought something like a slide or sandpit for my daughter's birthday that would be also be used by childminding children, I used to put through 50% of the receipt - years later when my daughter had outgrown that resource I would then "sell" that piece of equipment to myself as it was used purely for childminding, the price would be what I would expect to pay for it 2nd hand from a local selling page or car boot sale, reflecting on the age/condition.