Percent expenses when different working hours?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    business
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Percent expenses when different working hours?

Hello,my question is: How i should calculate percent expenses (rent and etc) if i work different hours every week? can i take every week different percent and calculate,or make annual average hours ? thanks for every answer.

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You should do every week if it is so different it changes the %. The same way you would if you were on holiday.

If the hours are regular but different you may be able to do it on a monthly basis?

3. Likes bunyip liked this post
    June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kristinutem View Post
    Hello,my question is: How i should calculate percent expenses (rent and etc) if i work different hours every week? can i take every week different percent and calculate,or make annual average hours ? thanks for every answer.
    Hi,

I just keep tabs on hours per week worked, then average it at the end of the year by dividing by 52. It's capped at 40 hours per week average so if it works out greater than this then you can only claim 40.

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kristinutem View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean by working different hours?
    are you open the same hours every week?...if so that is how you calculate your expenses....even if you are not full those are 'your trading hours'...the ones you have informed Ofsted you are open for childcare....if they change you must inform the inspectorate

Please check it out with a qualified accountant you can set up your spreadsheet and then you can manage yourself and also check the guidelines that will tell you what a cm can legitimately claim.

If the right formula is put in your Accounts spreadsheet this will calculated automatically what your expenses are....unfortunately some of the stationery sold to Cms is not very good...get the right one.

Good luck

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean by working different hours?
    are you open the same hours every week?...if so that is how you calculate your expenses....even if you are not full those are 'your trading hours'...the ones you have informed Ofsted you are open for childcare....if they change you must inform the inspectorate

Please check it out with a qualified accountant you can set up your spreadsheet and then you can manage yourself and also check the guidelines that will tell you what a cm can legitimately claim.

If the right formula is put in your Accounts spreadsheet this will calculated automatically what your expenses are....unfortunately some of the stationery sold to Cms is not very good...get the right one.

Good luck
    The Expenses % are worked out on the hours you actually have children in your care which are not necessarily exactly the same as your advertised opening hours. You can not apply % for any hours you do not have any children with you.

8. Likes mama2three liked this post
    Simona Guest

RS...please read my comment below on the matter.
    As I usually recommend...Cms can check it with a qualified accountant.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    You should do every week if it is so different it changes the %. The same way you would if you were on holiday.

If the hours are regular but different you may be able to do it on a monthly basis?
    I agree with RS. Work it out for each week at a time.

Averaging it over the year looks easier and can often result in a higher figure. Say you're working 50 hours pw and take 4 weeks holiday, then your weekly average is 50 hours multiplied by 48 weeks worked divided by 52 weeks in the year = 46.something hours pw on average, so it looks like you can claim 40 hours (the weekly cap) for each week of the year.

But that results in an over-estimate and you'd be over-claiming. I had this straight from an HMRC business education advisor who came to my CM group a while ago.

Accountants will disagree. They're dodgy: I know, I had my first 'proper' job at an accountants' office, and if I ever shake hands with an accountant I always check that I still have the same number of fingers left when I'm done.

I find it far easier to do using my attendance register and the back of an envelope than using all that fiddly faffy spreadsheet nonsense.
    Last edited by bunyip; 20-04-2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: I can't spel verry wel

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree that its your actual worked hours that you need to use , not your opening hours. Otherwise , as Im available officially for overnight care I could claim 24 hours a day. Just do it weekly or monthly , whichever you invoice , seems a faff but very quickly becomes a habit

Simona Guest

Mam2three and Bunyip
    maybe you should read my comment as you have clearly misinterpreted what I said.

Some cms average it every month while others do it yearly...however...please look at the regulations for self employment and what Cms can legitimately claim for hours worked and for running a home based business

Again if unsure contact a qualified accountant...they are trained to know the ins and outs!!...it is very unfair to call accountants 'dodgy'....it is a bit of a sweeping statement.
    I do not think that qualified accountants can disagree on how HMRC sets the rules for self employment and claims.

Cms have a choice to do their own accounts and constantly ask questions on forums like this or employ someone qualified....up to each Cm to decide!
    Last edited by Simona; 22-04-2016 at 07:20 AM.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Mam2three and Bunyip
    maybe you should read my comment as you have clearly misinterpreted what I said.
    This rather implies that we were referencing your comments.

Whilst it would be unfair of me to speak for mama2three, I can state categorically that I, for one, was not.

I respect the fact that your experience of accountants differs from my own. Let's agree to disagree, free speech and all that.

Incidentally, did anyone hear the one about the honest accountant, the dishonest accountant and Father Christmas...................?

14. Likes mama2three liked this post
    Simona Guest

Like any other service provider Bunyip one needs to move on when the service is not up to scratch

Sorry to hear of your experience with an accountant...did you try anyone else?

I wonder if you would approve of a parent who had a bad experience with one Cm and declared ALL Cms 'dodgy'.

Again your tone is out of place and I ask you again to read my comments...was the last line of your reply really necessary or just your usual sarcasm or charm?

Thanks for your input and sorry to hear of your bad experience....as you sometimes post comments from mothers on a 'certain social media'...you will know life is very hard for all of us whatever service we try to deliver!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear of your experience with an accountant...did you try anyone else?
    "maybe you should read my comment as you have clearly misinterpreted what I said."
    I have never used an accountant. Not even the dozens who cold-called me when I was first registered and, presumably for entire altruistic reasons, wanted to charge me for doing a tax return I am perfectly capable of doing myself and swore blind they would save me money on my tax bill even though I could prove to them that I was not earning enough to pay tax. Do feel free to ask an accountant exactly how they'd do that.

My "experience with an accountant" extends to working for two different accountancy firms, under a total of 5 Chartered/Certified partners and at least a dozen other qualified accountants. I saw exactly what went on and can assure everypony that I wouldn't trust one as far as I could spit a rat.

I wonder if you would approve of a parent who had a bad experience with one Cm and declared ALL Cms 'dodgy'.
    Not my place to approve or disapprove. I try to keep an open mind on this point. Maybe that's why I've managed to turn around the views of clients who have had bad experiences with CMs and/or other EY 'professional' settings. I'm willing to admit it helps when they suddenly reaslsie I'm their child-carer of absolute last resort.

was the last line of your reply really necessary or just your usual sarcasm or charm?
    Neither, it's a joke: not a bad one, either. (It works with solicitors, journalists and MPs too, but it's lost on anypony who has never heard it.)

(Word)

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit, these posts always make me want to get the popcorn out!

18. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by halor View Post
    I have to admit, these posts always make me want to get the popcorn out!
    Oh dear, is my New Year's Resolution finally wearing out?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Word. Word. Word.

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Word. Word. Word.
    Chucking some popcorn at you!

22. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

BIM52751 - Care providers: childminders: expenses

This clarifies that it's the hours worked.

24. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Simona Guest

How great...this thread is worthy of Mumsnet...warts and all!

bring on the popcorn indeed!

Thanks for your link Flora Dora....it will help the OP!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    BIM52751 - Care providers: childminders: expenses

This clarifies that it's the hours worked.
    Thanks for that FD.

It's this sort of thing that reminds us that tax laws aren't necessarily meant to make sense, but they just are what they are.

Frinstance the 10% wear and tear (if it were a logical piece of reasoning) would suggest that our children wreck 10% of our home every year, amounting to £2.5k +/- of wanton furniture damage annually. .

27. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Simona Guest

Wear and tear examples/explanations for those who need it...there are differences worth knowing about

How to Claim the 10% Wear and Tear Allowance