Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Start up costs

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Start up costs

hi im new to the forum and about to start what seems like it maybe a long journey to getting registered as a childminder. Can anyone help me with probably a very stupid question, if i was to do and pay for training this autumn is there a limit as to when i must claim it in my accounts ? as i dont really want to start having LO until next autumn which would be a whole year after training and then what if i dont get any LO until the following year which could mean i did my training in tax year 2015/16 but may not have any business until tax year 2017/18 hopefully i would have someone even if it were just a couple of months of tax year 2016/17 but just wondering worst case scenario could i still claim start up cost from now in 2017/18 tax year?

Also if anyone is able to follow the above when would be the earliest you would suggest getting things for my childminding business (for example if i was in asda and they were selling reduced price bowls ideal for LO snack is it too early now to buy and keep receipt to claim back as an expense)

sorry if thats hard to follow ive got so much stuff running round in my head thank you for any help

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The process seems long but should be done in about 6 months if you get on with getting things done. And if you start advertising as soon as you get the go ahead a pre-reg visit you should be earning within a few months. It is very pessimistic to think it might be a year with out work! unless you want to delay starting for some reason?

To be honest, they change the rules on how to be registered so often you might as well just get on with it and plough through the to-do-list.
    You can log expenses on a tax return with no income, you just make a loss and that is quite usual in most new business start ups.

I would not be buying resources until you are approaching pre-reg visit time, as who know what may turn up from DBS/Social services checks for you and any other adults in the house, you might have a change of plan or re-think the age groups you want to child-mind as you go through the training etc. It is tempting to get carried away with all the nice bits and pieces but really it is more important to focus on the things you need to get registered, there will be lots of time while you are waiting for pre-reg things to be shopping!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

hi
    thank you for your reply Moggy I didnt mean my post to sound pessimistic I certainly dont feel that way but i dont want to really start taking children before September and just put a hypothetical what if to do with tax returns as im not sure about all that side. I have no worries about not getting my DBS checks back ok as ive always worked with children so been checked and partner is checked through his work. I was just a little worried if I did my paid for training this year and didnt get for whatever reason a LO until next tax year or worst case going into following tax year for whatever reason would i still be able to put start cost from this tax year. Didnt really think about starting doing tax returns before getting LO and carrying a loss.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A colleague researched claiming back the cost of training courses - more information here

Expenses for Training and Courses information

5. Likes butterfly77 liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you sarah

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly77 View Post
    hi im new to the forum and about to start what seems like it maybe a long journey to getting registered as a childminder. Can anyone help me with probably a very stupid question, if i was to do and pay for training this autumn is there a limit as to when i must claim it in my accounts ? as i dont really want to start having LO until next autumn which would be a whole year after training and then what if i dont get any LO until the following year which could mean i did my training in tax year 2015/16 but may not have any business until tax year 2017/18 hopefully i would have someone even if it were just a couple of months of tax year 2016/17 but just wondering worst case scenario could i still claim start up cost from now in 2017/18 tax year?

Also if anyone is able to follow the above when would be the earliest you would suggest getting things for my childminding business (for example if i was in asda and they were selling reduced price bowls ideal for LO snack is it too early now to buy and keep receipt to claim back as an expense)

sorry if thats hard to follow ive got so much stuff running round in my head thank you for any help
    No there is no limit...also you do not claim for your training you enter the amount as an expense in your account when you feel the business can sustain that.

Have you applied for the Cms 'Start up grant'? I think it is still available...it is not much but it will help
    Either call the DfE or contact your LA who will point you to the application

The registration process has now been reviewed and will take 12 weeks...Ofsted did mess up a bit on that but now much better organized

https://www.gov.uk/register-childmin...dcare-provider

Buy toys and equipment as you go along...if you see something good get it...don't forget charity shops and car boot sales are very good too.