Becoming a self-employed childminder working 30 hours plus a week and Tax Credits
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Becoming a self-employed childminder working 30 hours plus a week and Tax Credits

I am currently self-employed with another company working only 16 hours a week but have very recently become a registered childminder and will be hopefully soon working 30 plus hours a week.. I'm a single parent with a six year old daughter and receive working and child tax credit. Would anyone have any advice as to when I phone the tax credit people about my change of self-employed status and will it affect my tax credits?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is a tax credits checker here - HM Revenue & Customs: Check if you qualify for tax credits - quick questionnaire

You need to tell them as soon as your status changes.

Good luck with it all!

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

They are fine to speak to. They normally don't want to know until the change has actually taken place. So if you are in employment now but just going down the route of becoming a childminder you need not do anything I would say. However, if you are now working as a childminder with some children you will need to work out your earnings you currently have and how many hours and then if your hours increase to say the 30 hours a week you wish for then you notify them again at that point.

As Sarah says there is a calculator and from that you should be able to get an estimate of whether your tax credits will change or not.