Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tax return and maternity

I am just catching up with all the receipts and expenses etc ready for my first ever online tax return in Jan.

However I am due to stop working end of Dec as that is when a
    L the parents have decided to start new temp placements, so have no work until I start to claim my maternity allowance which I cannot start claiming until dec/jan at the very earliest.

So my question is what do I put down on tax return for the month of Jan as I am will obviously have no income do I just file return up to end of dec? Or if maternity leave starts do you include that on the return form? I am a little confused and this is the first tex return I have ever done, don't want to get it wrong! x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

The tax return that is filed in Jan 2014 is for the tax year 6th April 2012- 5th April 2013. For this year (Apr 2013- Apr 2014) you do not have to file a return until end of Jan 2015. You would include your maternity on the Jan 2015 return.

If you registered in Jun 2012 you would be self employed from then until 5th April 2013. You would also need to include any employment, benefits you received from 6th April 2012-5th April 2013.

From April 2013 is a new tax year. IYSWIM

Hope that helps

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I started childminding in September 2012 so does that mean on this tax return I just put info for September to April this year as self employed then? Sorry for sounding thick lol.
    Before sept 2012 I was employed as a nanny. xx

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by helena_j View Post
    I started childminding in September 2012 so does that mean on this tax return I just put info for September to April this year as self employed then? Sorry for sounding thick lol.
    Before sept 2012 I was employed as a nanny. xx
    You will need to fill in two sections on the tax return - one for employed earnings from April 2012 - when you quit, and the other for self employment from September 2012 - April 5th 2013. It will then work out your tax knowing you have already paid some when employed, you may owe nothing, you may get a rebate or you may have something to pay depending on your earnings for the year. Not sounding thick is confusing when you first start doing and then add in baby brain!!

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Tulip:-)
    Tax return all done and not as scary as I thought lol.
    So I am done for year 2012/2013, when will I next submit my return for 2013/2014? Slowly getting my baby brain around it all. x

6. Likes tulip0803 liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by helena_j View Post
    Thank you Tulip:-)
    Tax return all done and not as scary as I thought lol.
    So I am done for year 2012/2013, when will I next submit my return for 2013/2014? Slowly getting my baby brain around it all. x
    You will be able to submit 2013-14 from around May-sort-of-time until end of January 2015.