How much do you note down for meals?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How much do you note down for meals?

Just started today with my first little one. She had breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks. Do I note this down as expenses & how much for each meal?

Thank you

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The HMRC guidance is to work out the average cost of a typical meal (or a typical day's food, so you can include snacks too) over a few weeks, then use that figure.

Recalculate every now and then, just so you don't get caught out by fluctuating prices............ or appetites.

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a large setting, with 2 assistants, so my food bill it big! I do a shop at the beginning of the week for the children and what ever it cost will all go as an expense, around £80-90 per week! I do a weekly menu, I find that easier. I guess for 6 kids a day for lunch, tea and snacks works out around £2.50/£3 per child. Not bad!

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

But if your averaging the hmrc expenses for submitting what receipt do you put in or don't you need one for this?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

HMRC don't require receipts for meals at CM settings. In fact they don't expect us to keep receipts for any purchase under £10.

HMRC used to publish a guidance document for childminders each year, which detailed all this. Not sure if they still do the document, as their website is not easy to search for a single resource. I always got my copy from the HMRC Business Education & Support Team in Sheffield on 0114 29 69 431. Ask them to send you a free copy of "Childminders - information about tax and National Insurance". This helps with most areas of tax and NI.

EHO recommend that we retain all food receipts for 3 months as due diligence in case they ever need to trace back a food poisoning incident, but HMRC aren't interested.

Hope this helps.

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

So do you note them separately e.g child x food £3 and list per day rather than e.g. food £40 (total for all children for week)?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I put a weekly total for each child. You could put a total for all children for the week, or break it down child by child, meal by meal, snack by snack. It doesn't matter so long as you can evidence it.

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a spreadsheet where it calculates the total figure each week. Each meal has its own price and then I just put how many were present for each meal (ie 2 breakfast, 1 snack, 3 lunch) and it adds it all up. I then put as a total in my weekly accounts. 5 weeks fit on each page, and I print page off after each period so can reference it

Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    I have a spreadsheet where it calculates the total figure each week. Each meal has its own price and then I just put how many were present for each meal (ie 2 breakfast, 1 snack, 3 lunch) and it adds it all up. I then put as a total in my weekly accounts. 5 weeks fit on each page, and I print page off after each period so can reference it
    Hi zoomie is there any chance you could pm me a copy of the spreadsheet please? X

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

each week I go through my shopping receipt ( or put childminding stuff through till separately ) and mark off/add up what my food bill is for the week. I also include loo rolls, cleaning stuff etc.

I used to charge a set fee per child/per meal, but it got too confusing, especially if child wasn't then there, but i'd already bought the food.

11. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your replies. Have never been self employed before so finding it all a bit daunting. Don't want to get anything wrong.

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dottylotty View Post
    Thank you everyone for your replies. Have never been self employed before so finding it all a bit daunting. Don't want to get anything wrong.
    It is daunting to start with...however you'll find it gets lots easier

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do
    50p for a snack (drink,fruit,bisc)
    £1 for Lunch (sandwich,fruit,yog)
    £1.50 for a hot meal

No idea if that's correct but it the only way I can do it. I started off trying to do percentages of my bill but it got too confusing
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    each week I go through my shopping receipt ( or put childminding stuff through till separately ) and mark off/add up what my food bill is for the week. I also include loo rolls, cleaning stuff etc. I used to charge a set fee per child/per meal, but it got too confusing, especially if child wasn't then there, but i'd already bought the food.
    this is how I do it too xx

Aug2013
    Post Thanks / Like

How much would you charge for a breakfast? I work 8am till 4pm ATM and provide breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks. No idea how to charge for these. Also if I provide 2 snacks do I have to have to charge twice let say 50 pence per snack? Sorry I have just started childminding. My oh reckons I should hire an accountant to help out. HELP. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much do you note down for meals

Hi I'm new as well. I wondered how it was worked out. Thanks for all the info