Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help re percentages for tax return

Hi, I am not the best person at maths and getting myself all confused with the percentages for Water, Gas and Electric and Council Tax.

Could anyone help please with the following number of hours:

16.75 hrs
    18 hrs
    19 hrs
    20.5 hrs
    20.75 hrs
    26 hrs
    26.75 hrs
    30.75 hrs
    32 hrs
    36.75 hrs
    40.75 hrs
    43.5 hrs
    44.75 hrs
    53.75 hrs

I have a brother and sister who come one day a week for 10 hours so have counted 20 hours for this day for the percentages. Is this right or should it just be 10 hours for the percentages?

Any help gratefully received before my head explodes!!

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Percentages is worked out on the actual hours that you are minding not the number of children that you are caring for so if you are caring for 2 children for the same 10 hours you can only count 10 hours not 20. So my hours today started at 9 and finished at 7 with 2 children at different times so I can count 10 hours worked not 15 which is what both their hours added together are.

The maximum you can claim for is 40 hours even if you work more.

Gas/elec/oil is maximum of 33% for 40 hours

Water/rent/council tax is maximum 10% for 40 hours.

Everything else is pro rata.

Can you work out the hours again with just 10 for the siblings not 20 and I will try to help you some more
    Last edited by tulip0803; 09-10-2013 at 06:32 PM.

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    Hi

Percentages is worked out on the actual hours that you are minding not the number of children that you are caring for so if you are caring for 2 children for the same 10 hours you can only count 10 hours not 20. So my hours today started at 9 and finished at 7 with 2 children at different times so I can count 10 hours worked not 15 which is what both their hours added together are.

The maximum you can claim for is 40 hours even if you work more.

Gas/elec/oil is maximum of 33% for 40 hours

Water/rent/council tax is maximum 10% for 40 hours.

Everything else is pro rata.

Can you work out the hours again with just 10 for the siblings not 20 and I will try to help you some more
    Thanks for your help. That's what I thought. I think I have managed to work them out now.

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know this is old thread, so do I just use an average weeks hours then over the year? Really confused with working this out,as my hours change each week!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karen1 View Post
    I know this is old thread, so do I just use an average weeks hours then over the year? Really confused with working this out,as my hours change each week!
    Yes just average it out using your normal hours - I do it monthly to make sure I keep a proper eye on hours because I take holidays and children are off sometimes which affects the %

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you. Just trying to get my head around my first nine months of running a business! And accounts, tax, agh

Aug2013
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. I know it's a silly question but since having my daughter 19 months ago I struggle to add 2+2 haha. I work different hours every week and pay my bills ( council tax etc) monthly. So for example if my council tax for February was 150.00 pounds would I have to divide it by 28 ( 28 days in February ) and divide it again by 24 hours. Multiply it by the amount of hours I worked in 1 week let's say 25 hours and work out then how much I can deduct. In this case 6%. I am sorry I really hate maths