new play room/dinning room what can i claim for?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default new play room/dinning room what can i claim for?

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help.
    Recently we remortgage our house so we could change the existing extension (small) which was being used as a dining room / messy room into the kitchen and the large kitchen is now a dining room /play room for the childminding children so I now have more space ie 2 living areas.
    My husband wanted carpet but with the traffic in and out with the childminding children it would have got ruined so we ended up opting for a heavy duty laminate flooring which was very expensive can I claim any of this back?
    Also I bought a second hand side board to store the toys in can I claim that and anything else anyone can this I can claim for paint, lighting, plaster electrician, plumber, tv etc? This was all purely done because im childminding.....we wouldn't have done it otherwise. I know it can get all complicated with owning your own house and selling on etc so any help would be appreciated

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No you can't claim for the flooring because you would have to have flooring anyway. You can claim for the side board if you bought it only for childminding and anything you have bought for cm but not work done to the fabric of the building.

3. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to agree with Rickysmiths about the renovations and flooring and in your case I do agree that you can only claim for the storage but I wonder if you bought that carpet that has roads and cars all over for a playroom if you could claim for that? I did suggest it to my hubby for the lounge but I can't put his reply! My understanding is that you can only claim for things that aren't permanent - so electrics, plaster, wood flooring are all pretty permanent and will still be there if you gave up minding and wanted to turn the room back into living space for your family.

5. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Simona Guest

I believe you can claim but an accountant would be more qualified to give you professional advice on that side of your cminding business.
    the storage, if used for cminding only comes under equipment...again an accountant would steer you in the right direction but yes you can claim
    if you have no accountant see if you can find more info on 'running a business from home'...what is allowed or not.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes to the sideboard if it is for business but unfortnately no to the flooring.
    Debbie

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't you be able to claim for a percentage of the flooring. So how much would it have cost if you got carpet as you initially wanted and put through the difference????

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    Yes to the sideboard if it is for business but unfortnately no to the flooring.
    Each claim is different and we must allow cms to explore what is allowable to them and why...each situation is different.
    We are not 'certified accountants' to give such advice and could be giving the wrong advice...that is where people who are qualified come in.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Each claim is different and we must allow cms to explore what is allowable to them and why...each situation is different.
    We are not 'certified accountants' to give such advice and could be giving the wrong advice...that is where people who are qualified come in.
    Simona you are assuming again that I am not qualified.
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NinaBowen View Post
    Wouldn't you be able to claim for a percentage of the flooring. So how much would it have cost if you got carpet as you initially wanted and put through the difference????
    When I had my extension done I wanted stone flooring down but had to save for it, I didn't claim any of this as the HMRC told me it would all be disallowed and I would get penalties but what they did allow was 100% of the £50 I spent on carpet for the interim as it was for childminding purposes.

there is so much we can claim for legitimately without alerting the HMRC, why not use those little things that add up?
    Debbie

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    Simona you are assuming again that I am not qualified.
    I don't think that is what I am suggesting.