Building work.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Building work.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Building work.

I'm looking at the possibility of portioning off my living room (it's large enough) for a completely seperate playroom space. This would involve costs of a builder, materials, electrician and plumber(need a radiator moving) and redecorating. Could this work be put through my accounts? I wouldn't be having the work done if it weren't for childminding.
    Thanks

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It is doubtful because it is a change to your home. New soft furnishing and storage but not actual building.

3. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar one. I was told by ofsted that the type of window I had in my spare room meant I would not be allowed to have overnight care. I am having a couple of windows changed this one being one of them and with the new opening it would mean that I could do overnight care. Can I put the cost for this particular window through my books.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this gets horribly messy if you put any work on your home through the accounts. It's something along the lines of adopting your home as a business asset, which can get tricky and possibly expensive if/when you sell your home.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you just partition off part of your lounge with bookcases or room dividers, toy box storage then you can claim for this as it isn't permanent - but what you are suggesting is permanent and even though you are doing it for childminding you can't claim back expenses. I was thinking of building a permanent canopy over part of garden so children could be protected from sun/rain but if it is permanently attached to the house I can't claim but I can claim for as many fold up/down gazebos as I like! The only structural change I think the tax office told me I could claim for is if you install a small or disabled toilet - if you aren't sure ring your local tax office - if you still have one - think ours has been closed down.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for replies...we'll see what the quotes come in as and then decide..maybe it will just be storage and furnishings I put through if we decide to have work done.