Accounts book & mountain of receipts help! me get organised this week :)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Accounts book & mountain of receipts help! me get organised this week :)

hi all i am not too sure on how to do my accounts book still i know! i started c.minding in july but didnt have much work only now im getting really busy and have a mountain of receipts how so i use my ncma book do i keep all my petrol & food receipts in one pile and so on for top uo for phone etc? somone help lol! want to sort it by end of week been meaning to do it for ages now but just cant get my head around it!xx

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Will watch with interest as I'm in the same situation x

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default gutted lol!

i thaught ah that reply was quick maybe its the answer to all my queries and i can do work then sleep in peace lol! wishful thinking i think we both need to wait longer for the answers lolxx

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Break it down into managable portions to get started, then, when you're up to date with everything, make time to do it at least once a month, but once a week is better!

I get myself 12 large A4 envelopes, label each one for each month
    Sort the pile out into individual month related envelopes
    Take one month's envelope, sort into date order, then list in my accounts spreadsheet into separate columns for different expenses so I can see at a glance how much I've claimed for things like toys, craft stuff, food, mileage etc
    (I made up my own spreadsheet so not sure about the NCMA layout, there is a list of claimable expenses in the free resources tab)

Once I have each month sorted, I staple it all together with a summary sheet and put it in a folder for that financial year. At the end of the financial year I will have 12 sorted piles of paper in there, and when I submit my return I print it off and put that in the folder too and it all goes up in the loft - out of sight out of mind

5. Likes sony123, ziggy liked this post
    July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thankyou

i will keep this in mind and attempt to do it tomorrow night x

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a big brown envelope for each month and put (more like sort out) receipts into each according to the month. I then put them into date order and on a computer spreadsheet, log them and give them a number which ties up with their position on the spreadsheet. Off the top of my head, the columns I use are:

Rcpt No /Date /Supplier /Food & Drink /Toys & Equipment /Outings /Office Supplies /Books & Publications /Subscriptions & Insurances / Misc /Utilities /Fuel / Wear and tear

As previous posters have said, try and keep on top of it i.e. make time at the end of every month to file that month's receipts. Maybe put a reminder on your phone calendar to do it, then you know it has to be done.
    I always find the best bit is sealing the envelope up when I know all my receipts are accounted for

8. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a day to view diary - for everything!
    It is my attendance register , planning , the lot...
    The bottom part of each page is for expenses. On each day I wroite down - meals , mileage , entrance fees , small purchases where there are no receipts etc

I staple receipts for larger purchases to the page.

Every now and again I go through and put the figures onto the accounts book , takes hardly any time as tyhe figures are all there ready to transfer.

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

I staple all my receipts to each week in my accounts book so there all in one place another childminder suggested it to me when I first started

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i have an envelope for each week, that i stick an 'expenses' form on the front of ( one day, when i'm really cleveri'm going to print straight onto a years worth of envelopes! )

then i write down everything and how much, and then put all receipts inside envelope. ( plus mileage for each week )

i have a concertina file with 12 sections - one for each month, and i put the envelope in the correct month

i used to then transfer the info from envelope into my ncma account book, but last year, just put the total for each week in and stapled the whole envelope in. ( as for tax you only need total expenses, not all the different types of expenses )

for the end of month page in accounts book, i add up income, and all expenses from envelopes to get my monthly totals

which then goes to end of year totals.

last year i worked out my percentages for water/gas etc each month, but this year i think i shall work out my average hours a week, and what percentage that will be, and then work out a percentage of my yearly bills for water/gas etc.

having read that back, i'm not sure it makes sense! sorry! but it does to me!

i'll attach my expense form for envelopes if anyone interested! could easily add income to it.
    Attached Files Attached Files