Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tax bill shocker!

I had my tax bill today. I had saved up enough but they want me to pay all of the bill plus half again on account for next year. Is this normal? I had no idea! We're talking a lot of money here and I am panicing a bit about finding it by January.

jumpinjen Guest

Wow - I don't know if it's normal - can you call them and say sorry but you haven't got it, that you save up for it every month and can't come up with that kind of money out of nowhere as you are a small business - I think that's a bit cheeky of them really!

Jen x

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, sorry you had such a shock it happened to me a couple of years ago. Yes it is normal, if your tax bill is over a certain amount (around the £1000 mark) you do have to pay the full amount plus the next years in 2 halves then if the next bill is not as high as this years then you get a refund.
    Cath

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

HMRC have been requesting 50% of the current tax bill in advance for some time now, (at least the last 3 years) so not sure how understanding they'd be, but no harm in asking.
    On the plus side, if next years bill is a lot lower, you won't have to find as much as you've already got the 50% 'banked'

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You can request to pay it monthly but to be honest you would be better setting aside the money in an account of yours and at least get a bit of interest on it. It is a bit of a shock the first time but after that you get used to it.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this for the first time last year - but this year my bill was low. Lower than the amount I had paid in advance so got £200 back

Next year will be high again if I continue to earn what I am now so will put it into savings in preparation.

It has been like this for quite a while now, I knew about it when friends got caught out.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

sep 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I got caught out with this a couple of years ago, the HMRC web doesnt make it clear that if your bill goes over £1000 then you pay in the current year and its a real shocker isnt it. Hope you manage ok.

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, this happened to me too, but I rang the tax office, explaining that my earnings had gone down as I was not as busy as previously. They estimate the bill on last earnings. They were very helpful and after asking me for how much i expected to be in profit, they then helped me calculate how much tax I would pay, which was less than the original bill.
    They would not be impressed though, if then the profit was a great deal more than estimated, I was warned that I could face a penalty charge.
    But they were helpful and clear, and I would say just talk to them and ask their advice.

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I too got caught out by this a few years ago! On the plus side you could end up paying more than you need in future years and be like me... i got, not one but, two rebates beginning of the year as I had overpaid for two years on the trot xx
    xx

Post Thanks / Like

I knew about this but totally forgot, glad this thread has come up now, I can prepare for next January, haven't had to pay hardly any tax before but am full
    lately. Been thinking about putting a weekly amount away a pertentage of income, can I ask what other people put away or percentages people would recommend please.

Oct 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I put about 30% of my income in a savings account, touch wood, it's always been more than I needed to, I think because I don't deduct the tax allowance from the income.
    Anything left over after paying the bill is mine to spend on treats - I work hard, I deserve it

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I left an office job in July last year and started minding in sept. I have to fill out a tax declaration before oct for sept to April.12. I got a tax return on my office job not long ago. When I fill out my new one will they ask for half next year based on my total earnings for that year which won't be correct? Or half office job and half minding... Or will someone realise ice changed jobs and incomes?
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

That's one thing I don't have to worry about, I never earn enough to pay tax. X

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

its a tough one isn't it. Especially when you have to pay in January. On the plus side the July bill is not so bad and as evveryone says you might get some money back (or deducted from your next bill).

I put away £200 month to cover tax. Sometimes I need to "borrow" it back but most of it stays there so it's not too painful when the bill comes in.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Guess you live and learn! Let's hope next year is not as bad x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The worst one is the first one. As others have explained your pay your tax in January 2013 for 11/12 and then half the amount again for 12/13 and the 2nd half in July 2013.

If you complete your tax return quickly and the amount of tax due goes down the HMRC with adjust your July payment, taking into account the higher amount paid in January too.

The reason for their system is simple and I think makes sense. If you didn't pay upfront and stopped work at the end of March 2014 how would you be able to afford the tax for 2013/2014 in 2015 if you are not working?
    Debbie

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How quickly do we need to pay this tax bill once we get it and can we pay installments? X
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

hello,
    same with me. I always have to pay half of next year. not nice..

feb 91
    Post Thanks / Like

really Boris? I would think you'd be pleased to pay more tax as it means you will have earned plenty! lol

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

:
    Quote Originally Posted by margimum View Post
    really Boris? I would think you'd be pleased to pay more tax as it means you will have earned plenty! lol
    Totally agree - it does sound good if you look at it this way
    Debbie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast