Mr Anchovy Please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mr Anchovy Please

Hi, I've been considering whether it would be worth learning to drive and getting a car so that I can pick up from schools further afield, and take the children to different places during the day. My question is would I be able to claim a percentage of any driving lessons against the buisness (or am I living in dream land). I 'd also be looking at buying a car when I pass, can I claim this under capital allowances instead of the millage way, as I am definetly only doing all this to make childminding easier and to hopefully increase business) I think this would work out better for me as insurance will be expensive, I understand I'd still have to put a certain percentage through as personal. Could you explain to me who it all works please. Thankyou.

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry cant help with any of your questions didn't want to read and run. Maybe worth looking into how much it's all going to cost and weather it will work out worth it money wise. Lessons aren't cheap neither is insurance mot tax and services petrol etc. Ive been driving 5 years and my insurance is still not cheap. I sound like a right moaning Minnie sorry. Would u also be using it for personal use would it help out there too? Hopefully someone can help with the money side. x

aly Guest

I asked this question for a friend and the answer was no to the lessons as they are of benefit to you and the business etc.

yes with the 2nd question and one which I am going down but I found debbie a lot of help.

4. Likes zippy liked this post
    Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

The rule on training is that it must be impossible to operate your business without it - so first aid for instance qualifies because you need it up to date for Ofsted; training for EYFS 2012 is necessary for you to comply with the Statutory Framework.

But it would be possible to operate your business without a driving license: you could in theory take taxis for instance. Of course you would lose money doing that, but HMRC aren't concerned about you making a profit

Insurance is likely to be very high as a new driver, and this could make it worth you claiming actual costs. Debbie did post a good explanation of how this works a while ago: she explains it better than I do. I'll try and find it tonight unless someone else does first.

However my advice to anyone buying a car (partially) for business is that they should work on the basis of 45p a mile until they have had the car for at least a year and only submit their tax return (or resubmit it) when they have a better idea of how much it is going to cost to run.

6. Likes k1rstie liked this post