Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Mr Anchovy

Registered Childminder since
    January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mr Anchovy

I posted this in general chat, Madmamma suggested you would be the person to ask as you're in the know: is this ok?

'I have a child finishing at the end of the month. Parents, friends of mine, will probably owe £1000, they've had a horrible run of luck and simply can't afford to pay right now or for the foreseeable future. Not being able to afford child care is part of the reason she's leaving her job.

He's a landscape gardener and I need my garden tidying up so my plan is for him to effectively pay in labour rather than money. I can't imagine there's a problem with that but just want to check that it's not illegal? '

Thanks - Venus
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose if he puts a monetary value on the work he is going to do for you then you can work it all out in you books.

I've taken payment in the form of a video monitor from a set of financially strapped parents - I will put though my books they paid me £40 and will ask them for a receipt for the £40 for the monitor.
    Celest

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

That's perfectly OK as long as you include it as income in the normal way. He also needs to include it in his income of course, but that's nothing to do with you.

If you use your garden part of the time you are looking after only minded children (and not your own), you may be able to claim a portion of the amount as an expense too.

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnchovy View Post
    That's perfectly OK as long as you include it as income in the normal way. He also needs to include it in his income of course, but that's nothing to do with you.

If you use your garden part of the time you are looking after only minded children (and not your own), you may be able to claim a portion of the amount as an expense too.
    Thank you. So I would ask him to write an invoice and basically that amount would equate to my income?

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by venus89 View Post
    Thank you. So I would ask him to write an invoice and basically that amount would equate to my income?
    Do you normally give parents anything to say how much they owe? If so, you don't need anything else, just record the amount from your invoice/statement/account.

But if you normally just record cash when you get paid as your income, his invoice would be OK as a record of the amount.

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnchovy View Post
    Do you normally give parents anything to say how much they owe? If so, you don't need anything else, just record the amount from your invoice/statement/account.

But if you normally just record cash when you get paid as your income, his invoice would be OK as a record of the amount.
    I give them a monthly invoice but in reality I can't see the work he'll be doing costing as much as they owe. So I'll just use his invoice to me. Thank you!