PDA

View Full Version : So awkward when its friends ...

stargazer1
10-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Hi all, I am just wondering if you can give me any advice. I am just waiting for my registration number then I'm up and running. I have a friend who is booking her daughter in with me. I have looked after this little girl one day a week for the past year for no pay, as a favour, but always explained that when I was up and running, I would have to charge her the same as everyone else. I have a living to make after all!! Anyhow, the little girl will be coming to me one day a week for 5 hours, so not a lot. Mum is a teacher so gets a lot of holiday. When I was explaining to Mum, I told her that during the hols, she could either send LO to me for normal pay, or if she wanted to keep her home it would be half pay to keep her space open. Mum is not happy at having to pay when her LO isnt going to be here. I am a bit surprised to be honest, as Mum has used a childminder before so I thought she would know the ropes. She earns a good wage and her hubby earns a small fortune. I have not worked for a year as I have been pursuing this and have two small ones myself, and my hubby is self employed and earns not a lot at all. I tried explaining that if I dont charge anything, I basically have 13 weeks a year where I dont get paid by her, and she just said "well, cant you see it as lots of holiday" and laughed. So awkward when its friends!! Im going to stick to my guns tho as I cant afford to let it go, and if I do it for one I will have to do for all. God, thers no friends in business is there!!!

ziggy
10-04-2012, 07:49 AM
you are so right and you need to stick to your guns. When i was working as a daily nanny and waiting to be registered i had the same problem with 2 families who were also friends. One family decided to get elderly grandad to have children rather than pay me £3 per hour or holiday retainer. We didnt fall out over it but i wasnt prepared to give in either.

good luck

flowerpots
10-04-2012, 07:53 AM
I have 2 term time mindees who I only charge for during term time and then filled the spaces left with 2 holiday only children, I know ive been lucky to fill the spaces but you might be too. :thumbsup:

stargazer1
10-04-2012, 08:02 AM
If I could fill the spaces, I wouldn't mind so much but I am going to have two term time working mums and if I said to both of them that they didnt have to pay me anything through the holidays, then I would have 13 weeks a year skint! If I can find holiday spaces, I wouldnt mind coming to an agreement with them but I thought it best to probably set the ground rules now. I would be available to have her all year round (apart from my two weeks summer holiday and two weeks at Christmas when I will be closed and won't be charging) so as I see it, if she wants her booked in and I am available then payment needs to be made. When my DD was in playschool we had to pay all the time that they were open, regardless of whether she was ill, dentist etc. If they were open and she was bookedin we paid full fee. So I dont see that I am going any different. I hoped that dealing with friends would be easier, really dont want it to cause any friction.

Bridey
10-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Stick to your guns, its so good to see a new childminder start as they mean to go on with a good business head. She has no cause to complain - she's had a year's free childcare AND she gets paid during the holidays. I would just confirm all your terms in a friendly letter and it will be up to her if she wants to proceed or not. At the end of the day that one day a week commitment stops you getting a full time child.

Oh, and never work for friends! :laughing:

Mouse
10-04-2012, 08:45 AM
When I have had term time only contracts, that is what I charge for - term time only. Otherwise I don't see it as a term time contract.
I don't charge through the holidays, but I do make it very clear that the space is not available for them to use during holidays. And I am fortunate that I can usually fill my holiday spaces with doing holiday cover for other childminders.

If this mum only needs 5hrs, one day a week and you charge a half fee retainer for holidays, you will be having to keep that day available for only 2.5hrs money. If someone else came along wanting the day during holidays, you could potentially lose out on a full days pay for only 2.5hrs pay (if you charge the retainer, the place has to be available for this child, should they want it).

I'd be more inclined to charge a higher rate during the term to cover for the loss of income during the holidays. Charge enough that it covers what you would charge for a holiday retainer, but charge it only over the term time weeks. That way you in effect get paid the half fee retainer, but don't have to keep the space free in the hols.

Eg. if you charge £20 for the 5 hours
39 weeks @ £20 = £780
13 weeks @ £10 = £130
Total over the year = £910

£910 over 39 weeks = £23.33

So, say you will charge £25 a week term time only with nothing in the hols and you're more than cover the money over a year :thumbsup:

angeldelight
10-04-2012, 08:56 AM
I have 2 term time mindees who I only charge for during term time and then filled the spaces left with 2 holiday only children, I know ive been lucky to fill the spaces but you might be too. :thumbsup:

Yes I do the same

But we all do things different so stick to what you want to do its your business after all

Good luck

Angel xx

boxtree7
10-04-2012, 09:06 AM
The mums lucky for such a small amount of hours I would have charged her full amount for the holidays - Its many years since I had children to cover my term time only contracts. At the moment I have two term time contracts I charge half fees.

BucksCM
10-04-2012, 09:11 AM
:D
When I have had term time only contracts, that is what I charge for - term time only. Otherwise I don't see it as a term time contract.
I don't charge through the holidays, but I do make it very clear that the space is not available for them to use during holidays. And I am fortunate that I can usually fill my holiday spaces with doing holiday cover for other childminders.

If this mum only needs 5hrs, one day a week and you charge a half fee retainer for holidays, you will be having to keep that day available for only 2.5hrs money. If someone else came along wanting the day during holidays, you could potentially lose out on a full days pay for only 2.5hrs pay (if you charge the retainer, the place has to be available for this child, should they want it).

I'd be more inclined to charge a higher rate during the term to cover for the loss of income during the holidays. Charge enough that it covers what you would charge for a holiday retainer, but charge it only over the term time weeks. That way you in effect get paid the half fee retainer, but don't have to keep the space free in the hols.

39 weeks @ £20 = £780
13 weeks @ £10 = £130

So, say you will charge £25 a week term time only with nothing in the hols and you're more than cover the money over a year :thumbsup:

Thank you for writing what I was just thinking! :thumbsup::D
This certainly seems the way to go.

pinkbutterfly
10-04-2012, 09:41 AM

39 weeks @ £20 = £780
13 weeks @ £10 = £130

This is exactly what I do.
Let's face it ... do we like paying for something we are not going to use?
I never mention any retainers to parents who come to see me for term time contracts. I just do my maths as above and that way parent gets what they want (i.e. pay in school time only) and I get what I want (i.e. retainer of half fees but paid upfront and no need to keep the space open in holidays).

manjay
10-04-2012, 09:44 AM
I agree - never work for friends:D But you have set out your conditions early on so good for you.

Only you can judge what work is like in your area. I for one have never had a request for holiday only care so I would be careful expecting to get that kind of contract. There may be a need for it if maybe your local school offers before and after school care but not a holiday club!

I have learnt over the years to approach every difficult situation by asking myself 'what is the worst that could happen?' and if I can deal with that then I stick to my guns. Here you may loose a 5 hour a week contract? or end up falling out with your friend? For me personally I could deal with loosing such a small contract and in all fairness I would question a relationship with a friend if they were unable to understand I am running a business.

Good luck:thumbsup:

rickysmiths
10-04-2012, 09:46 AM

39 weeks @ £20 = £780
13 weeks @ £10 = £130

I was about to recommend the same. I have found that over the last couple of years the attitude to paying a retainer for the school holidays has changed. (I wonder if a certain other website has anything to do with this :rolleyes:) So I do exactly what mouse has suggested and charge a higher fee for the term time only children which effectively pays the half fee but they loose their automatic right to use the space in the holiday :thumbsup:

However in 18 years I have rarely had a child who has only come in the holidays.

2kidsunder5
10-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Everyone is different. What I would say is set out your terms and condistions from day one and stick with them. Treat all parents the same regardless of who they are.

For the record I have one little one who is term time only and I only charge for term time. I also try and fill the gap in the hols, but sometimes it works better not to as I have my own children.

I also agree it is very difficult when you mind for friends, they do take advantage :mad:

Diane x

stargazer1
10-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all your replies!! Now I need to decide whether I charge a retainer and keep that day free in case she decides to use me, or whether I do as suggested above and charge a higher rate term time. We live in a very small time and during the holidays the local school offers a very reasonably priced holiday club so I am not sure how much holiday work I will get? I know I could charge a bit more through the term time but I dont want to be very overpriced compared to the other two childminders in town. But then I don't want to really have to go through 6/7 weeks of summer holiday with no money coming in. Ho hum. Will have to have a think. Thanks for all you help, there are things above I hadn't even thought of. I love this forum, you are all so helpful x:)

pinkbutterfly
10-04-2012, 12:53 PM
stargazer1 just wanted to say what a cheek this friend of yours is ... used you for a whole year for free and now dares to haggle over the price. I just cannot believe this! I would point that one out so that she does have a little think about all this. Hugs to you.

stargazer1
10-04-2012, 01:21 PM
thank you pinkbutterfly. I'm so soft, hate confrontation etc so I always look for the nice way round things that cause the least upset. My hubby on the other hand just said "well you learn who your friends are. Tell her you charge a minimum of 20 hours per week". Ha. To be honest, if it became a problem I would have to let it go as if I were offered more hours elsewhere then I would have to go with the better option but we have been friends for a long time and I don't want to let her down. Disappointed tho that she is even disputing what is such a small amount really.

ccromar
10-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Hi all, I am just wondering if you can give me any advice. I am just waiting for my registration number then I'm up and running. I have a friend who is booking her daughter in with me. I have looked after this little girl one day a week for the past year for no pay, as a favour, but always explained that when I was up and running, I would have to charge her the same as everyone else. I have a living to make after all!! Anyhow, the little girl will be coming to me one day a week for 5 hours, so not a lot. Mum is a teacher so gets a lot of holiday. When I was explaining to Mum, I told her that during the hols, she could either send LO to me for normal pay, or if she wanted to keep her home it would be half pay to keep her space open. Mum is not happy at having to pay when her LO isnt going to be here. I am a bit surprised to be honest, as Mum has used a childminder before so I thought she would know the ropes. She earns a good wage and her hubby earns a small fortune. I have not worked for a year as I have been pursuing this and have two small ones myself, and my hubby is self employed and earns not a lot at all. I tried explaining that if I dont charge anything, I basically have 13 weeks a year where I dont get paid by her, and she just said "well, cant you see it as lots of holiday" and laughed. So awkward when its friends!! Im going to stick to my guns tho as I cant afford to let it go, and if I do it for one I will have to do for all. God, thers no friends in business is there!!!

I started childminding for friends kids and set the rules at the beginning. I think I was fortunate that my friends agreed to my conditions but I was worried that if anything happened it would cause problems. I was really fortunate that I looked after 2 different friends kids for a year and 2 years but never had a problems, both of whom had mums for teachers, at the time I charged full rate for their holidays and no fee for my holidays but I now charge half rate for my holidays. It is your business after all, stick to what you need to charge.

stargazer1
10-04-2012, 04:20 PM
I started childminding for friends kids and set the rules at the beginning. I think I was fortunate that my friends agreed to my conditions but I was worried that if anything happened it would cause problems. I was really fortunate that I looked after 2 different friends kids for a year and 2 years but never had a problems, both of whom had mums for teachers, at the time I charged full rate for their holidays and no fee for my holidays but I now charge half rate for my holidays. It is your business after all, stick to what you need to charge.

Thanks, thats made me feel a lot better. :)