PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Only Childminding

A&A
07-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Hi Guys,
very new to all this and at the moment i am thinking about becoming a childminder.

Just had a quick question about weekends.
Do you feel there is a great need for weekend childminding? (especially in the north london area) as i am thinking of minding only on weekends.

I would really appreciate any advice.
Thanks and enjoy the weekend! :laughing:

tulip0803
07-04-2012, 03:48 PM
It may be a good thing in North London as you have the population density to make it possible.

I am available but only have one child on a week-end but I am in a rural area now. I charge just over time and half of my normal hourly fee.

I previously minded in Essex and offered weekends and never had any enquiries.

A&A
07-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Thank you for replying!

in terms of activities, are you more laid back when planning with the EYFS or do you carry on as normal (weekdays). I am just thinking in terms of the 'weekend' period what to plan.

ajs
07-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Thank you for replying!

in terms of activities, are you more laid back when planning with the EYFS or do you carry on as normal (weekdays). I am just thinking in terms of the 'weekend' period what to plan.
where in north london are you

A&A
07-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Oh what a shame he's already all grown up.
I am based in Enfield

Mouse
07-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Hello & welcome to the forum :clapping:

Could you contact your LA childcare team and ask if they have much call for weekend childminders?

I know there isn't much demand where I am. A few of the local chilminders offer weekend care, but it's rarely asked for. I would have thought there'd be more demand in London though.

As for planning you should really plan for the weekend as you would for the week, but that doesn't need to be a lot of full on planning. Learning experiences come from everything the children do, even on laid back days!
I think it would depend what parents wanted from you. If they are happy for a laid back approach, then that's fine. Some might expect the more full on approach though and you'd have to agree with them what you are going to do.

A&A
07-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Hello & welcome to the forum :clapping:

Could you contact your LA childcare team and ask if they have much call for weekend childminders?

I know there isn't much demand where I am. A few of the local chilminders offer weekend care, but it's rarely asked for. I would have thought there'd be more demand in London though.

As for planning you should really plan for the weekend as you would for the week, but that doesn't need to be a lot of full on planning. Learning experiences come from everything the children do, even on laid back days!
I think it would depend what parents wanted from you. If they are happy for a laid back approach, then that's fine. Some might expect the more full on approach though and you'd have to agree with them what you are going to do.

I will definitely contact them to find out.
And as for planning, totally makes sense. Thanks so much for the advice! :thumbsup:

miffy
08-04-2012, 08:06 AM
You could also check out web based companies like childcare uk or forUms like net mums to see if there is any demand in your area

Miffy xx

tulip0803
08-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Thank you for replying!

I am a little more relaxed than I am in the week but I am in Wales and do not need to do EYFS (we don't have an early years curriculum to follow but we do have to observe and plan IYSWIM). We went on an Easter egg hunt today at a castle which also had a reenactment team there - so lots of follow ons from that so my planning has changed a bit for the rest of the week as I did not realise the re-enactors were their with falcons etc. Only have this LO tomorrow:)

A&A
10-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys!
really appreciate all your help and information. im sure i'll be back soon with more questions :)