PDA

View Full Version : Hama Beads??

Rosy Days
06-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Hi all, my dd is nearly 5 and I think she would quite like some Hama Beads but TBH I don't really know how they actually work? I've seen tubs of them but unsure whether you need something else as well such as a board to stick them on or do they just stick together? Could you lovely lot enlighten me please on how they actually work?
Thanks xx :)

green puppy
06-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Hi,
You can get shape templates that you place the beads on (onto raised peaks), you then have a special paper (although grease proof paper is similar) you put over the top of the beads and iron over it to make the beads stick together. You then lift the bead shape off of the template. My dd would sit for hours doing hama beads and mindees love them too. I use grease proof paper to iron over as it's cheaper!

Bridey
06-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Check the labels on the tubs - my ones contained a variety of templates as well as the beads.

debratina
hi
you could do with a little kit to start of withargos sell them no more than a tenner. you put the beads on a peg board then when its finished you place the special ironing paper on top and iron on a non steam setting. a few seconds later hey presto its joined together. warning its very addicitive lol
Debra

miffy
You do need a board to lay out your design on - you can buy the boards or some sets come with them.

You put the pegs on the board and when you're happy with your design you put some special paper over the design and iron it - this fuses the beads together then you can take the design off the board and reuse it.

Hours of fun!

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
06-04-2012, 08:29 AM
we love Hama beads :) Even my much older ones still like them. I bought a book of instructions to make different designs on different shaped boards to give more interest to the older ones. We have the colours sorted into plastic boxes usually used for nails etc :blush: bit OCD but they love them:) got glow in the dark too!

loocyloo
06-04-2012, 02:28 PM
the finished articles are more robust if you iron both sides !!!

i think its activity village that have lots of patterns you can print out :D

have fun xxx

Shar
06-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Ikea sell big tubs of beads and packs of different templates cheaply. :thumbsup:

mindingmummy
06-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Aqua beads are also very good. Similar kind of thing but you spray a little bit of water on to make them stick together instead of ironing them :-)

mindingmummy
06-04-2012, 04:40 PM
we love Hama beads :) Even my much older ones still like them. I bought a book of instructions to make different designs on different shaped boards to give more interest to the older ones. We have the colours sorted into plastic boxes usually used for nails etc :blush: bit OCD but they love them:) got glow in the dark too!

Im also a bit OCD and organised my daughters aqua beads yesterday.........10 mins later they were mixed again!! haha.

singingcactus
06-04-2012, 05:16 PM
All the kids here love them, my little chap on the spectrum adored them!

I hate them with a passion, hate them I tell you!!! OMG can you say boring!! You sit there, and put bead after bead after bead after bead onto a pinboard, then you iron them in place, then you...do what!? What do you do with them once they are done!!!

I don't get them, I am completely missing the point of them.....but, the kids love them and for that reason I do recommend them whole heartedly :)

Even my hubby will sit and do them with the kids!? Have fun and please note I am not in any way saying you should not get them for your daughter, you should in fact do so!

(but please someone else tell me you can't stand them too)

loocyloo
06-04-2012, 06:25 PM

I hate them with a passion, hate them I tell you!!! OMG can you say boring!! You sit there, and put bead after bead after bead after bead onto a pinboard, then you iron them in place, then you...do what!? What do you do with them once they are done!!!

I don't get them, I am completely missing the point of them.....but, the kids love them and for that reason I do recommend them whole heartedly :)

Even my hubby will sit and do them with the kids!? Have fun and please note I am not in any way saying you should not get them for your daughter, you should in fact do so!

they bore me :D and when they get knocked on the floor :eek: or when someone hasn't quite finished a creation and leaves it on the side when they go home, but then doesn't return for a week :panic: i now have the rule that if they are making hama beads, that if it is not ironed at hometime, it all goes back in the tub! some of our creations get strung with cotton thread and hung in windows, but no idea what else to do with them! they are great for the children though!

and don't get me started on aquabeads! loathe them, luckily DD was bought some (after wanting some for AGES!) and wasn't impressed so we don't have them ! :D

Rubybubbles
06-04-2012, 06:54 PM

why you make them into lovely coffee mugs for the rest of the family and send them to them:laughing:

My ds mad ever colour possible in club pengiun, now onto angry birds:rolleyes:

flowerpots
06-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Im going to give these a try next holidays for the older ons. :D