PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to let mindees play on my iPhone?

jadavi
06-04-2012, 04:00 AM
Is it a child protection issue?
I know there is nothing dodgy on my phone but how wd it look to an inspector?
My mindees like to play charlie bear and 4 in a row and look at photos and vids we have taken. I don't need extra permission from parents for mindees to look at photos n vids of other mindees do I?
The traditional story teller Three little pigs is our favourite resource right now. We often all sit together to listen to it. Sometimes I'll hand it over for them to do it themselves.
The rule is they ask me first and have to sit diwn to use it and can't walk around with it. Mine is in a brilliant protective case that protects it if it's dropped.

miffy
06-04-2012, 07:18 AM
From September your safeguarding policy must cover the use of mobile phones and cameras in the setting.

I have permission from parents to take and use group,photographs of the children and I would include videos in this if I used them.

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
06-04-2012, 07:20 AM
I don't have an iphone but personally I wouldn't.

In September if you don't already have one you will need a Policy covering phone with regard to Safeguarding.

What if they broke it or messed it up? It might be difficult to claim anything other than Wear and Tear if you had allowed them to play on it and you may invalidate and insurance you have on that phone because you have used it for your business.

I actually have also always had a very basic rule which started with my own two. No keys, no phones and that has always been the rule with mindees.

It drives me nuts the way parents let children 'play' with their keys and I was proved right when a very agitated parent rang me in a panic early one morning to tell me they would be late and he didn't know how late. He couldn't find his keys and the last he remembered his 2yr old was playing with them :panic: It took him over an hour to find them, they had been posted behind his bedside table in the bedroom. I think he turned the whole house upside down :laughing::laughing:

The number of parents phone bills that have been run up because the little ones have unlocked the phone and made random calls including to bosses :laughing::laughing:

I actually don't allow the children in my care to use the computer either. The older ones use them at school and it is something the parents can do at home. I don't want to have a dedicated cm computer and I would live in fear that anything should happen to mine!

blue bear
06-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Mine use my iPod, I bought it for the children, it's just the right size for their little hands, also have a computer that is just for mindees so nothing inappropriate on there . I have a policy for computer and internet use and permissions from parents for the children to use them.

boxtree7
06-04-2012, 08:40 AM
I don't understand why children would need to use your iphone ............ wouldn't happen with mine - don't even allow my 13 year old near my phone. Not because there's something to hide but simply its mine - very few things belong to me. (i don't allow key either drives me mad)

Katiekoo
06-04-2012, 08:45 AM
My lo's use my ipad for games - they are very, very, closely supervised for 5 mins or so, and they are very young (under three) so doubt they could access the internet - even by accident!
I allow my 4 yr old dd to play on it all the time and watch programmes - at one mindees parents request rather than having tv on, as a personal screen for dd it's great!
It offers more learning opportunities and fun than problems, I feel. My 2 year old mindee has learned to drag and drop having only used it once - great ICT skills = knowledge and understanding of the world don't ya know!

angeldelight
06-04-2012, 08:51 AM
From September your safeguarding policy must cover the use of mobile phones and cameras in the setting.

I have permission from parents to take and use group,photographs of the children and I would include videos in this if I used them.

Miffy xx

I agree

It is not any different from using your lap top or pc ... we do not use my phone but the ipad but very very closely supervised , dare let anyone who breaks it :laughing:

I do not like children playing with phones etc myself but closely supervised and with all your policy's in order it can be a great learning experience if you have not got access to your pc etc
My children also love playing Charlie Bear

Have fun

Angel xx

FussyElmo
06-04-2012, 08:55 AM
I dont let my own children have my phone but I do let the children access the laptop. Each to their own :thumbsup:

angeldelight
06-04-2012, 08:56 AM
I don't have an iphone but personally I wouldn't.

In September if you don't already have one you will need a Policy covering phone with regard to Safeguarding.

What if they broke it or messed it up? It might be difficult to claim anything other than Wear and Tear if you had allowed them to play on it and you may invalidate and insurance you have on that phone because you have used it for your business.

I actually have also always had a very basic rule which started with my own two. No keys, no phones and that has always been the rule with mindees.

It drives me nuts the way parents let children 'play' with their keys and I was proved right when a very agitated parent rang me in a panic early one morning to tell me they would be late and he didn't know how late. He couldn't find his keys and the last he remembered his 2yr old was playing with them :panic: It took him over an hour to find them, they had been posted behind his bedside table in the bedroom. I think he turned the whole house upside down :laughing::laughing:

The number of parents phone bills that have been run up because the little ones have unlocked the phone and made random calls including to bosses :laughing::laughing:

I actually don't allow the children in my care to use the computer either. The older ones use them at school and it is something the parents can do at home. I don't want to have a dedicated cm computer and I would live in fear that anything should happen to mine!

I tend to agree with some of what you are saying and it bugs me when my own children let their children play with their phones .... it always really winds me then they complain if one of them drop it etc , so I do know where you are coming from

But ..... I think with our job it is different and they are not sitting there playing with the phone but using it for learning with close supervision , otherwise like yourself I would say it is a no no .... no one touches my phone but I think its ok if others want to use it for learning

Angel xxx

angeldelight
06-04-2012, 08:57 AM
I dont let my own children have my phone but I do let the children access the laptop. Each to their own :thumbsup:

I would not either Tina... no one touches my phone :laughing::laughing: they might end up calling my secret boyfriend Enrique or something :laughing:

Angel xx

FussyElmo
06-04-2012, 09:15 AM
I would not either Tina... no one touches my phone :laughing::laughing: they might end up calling my secret boyfriend Enrique or something :laughing:

Angel xx

exactly Angel :laughing::laughing::laughing:

mr man
06-04-2012, 02:00 PM
my own two use mine, when im no tworking. mindees dont touch my phone.
DD just got a ipod for 10th birthday so she ahs the apps on it now too.
fanastic spelling ones and telling the time too. they both love it.

i was thinking of an ipad for my business - as i hear lot sof others let mindees use these. i can definalty see the benefits.
if i can do my invoices and stuff on it too i will get one. oh and link it to the printer.

if i do then i will have a cetain area for it, and no tlet be carries around,:)