PDA

View Full Version : AIBU- Bank Holidays

pinky33
05-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Parents have been dreadfully arsey this week (quite out of character).
One just picked up, had a betroot face and said "enjoy your four days off" in a very sarky way. So we quickly pointed out we will still be working tomorrow and Monday as were cleaning all the toys and sorting them.
She just huffed and walked off.

Should we not be charging for bank holidays, were not actually closed were open but do charge double fees.

AgentTink
05-04-2012, 03:51 PM
I used to charge normal fee for bank holiday, and one family sent there child every one of them even though they were at home with their other child and both parents were off. This is the same parents whose child has been with me every day for 9 months, even though they have had plenty of holidays, the only time he is not with me is when i am shut (which has only been 7 days).

Anyway I changed my fees back in February, and I changed my bank holidays to normal fee if you dont use but i am open, and if you attend then double fee. Surprisingly they decidded that they wouldnt use me after all for this bank holiday friday and monday :rolleyes:

So in question to should we charge, well it is our business, and we decide our terms, and my terms are that if I am going to work then I want double pay for it. If a parent doesnt like this then they do not have to use me as a childminder. Here in liverpool all our local nurseries charge for the day even though they are not open.

EmmaReed84
05-04-2012, 03:58 PM
At the end of the day... your business, your rules!

I don't work BH and I still charge a normal day for them, and as AgentTink if they want me they can pay double...

I annualise my fee's and gently reminded my parents they actually get a free days worth of care lol... Bless her she then paid me for a day off I had to have at the doctors to compensate awww lol

miffy
05-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Parents have been dreadfully arsey this week (quite out of character).
One just picked up, had a betroot face and said "enjoy your four days off" in a very sarky way. So we quickly pointed out we will still be working tomorrow and Monday as were cleaning all the toys and sorting them.
She just huffed and walked off.

Should we not be charging for bank holidays, were not actually closed were open but do charge double fees.

You should have smiled sweetly and said "Thank you, we will". You don't have to justify what you're doing, parent agreed to your terms and conditions when they signed the contract.

I charge for BH but I don't work them - not even for double fees.

Miffy xx

karensmart4
05-04-2012, 04:17 PM
In my parents contracts I have always stated that Bank Holidays are not charged for but if a parent really needs it then talk to me and I will see if I can accommodate, but it will be charged at double the normal fee.

But each cm sets their own rules so it's up to you and as long as you make it clear when they start with you then they have to put up with it, they know the score.

kel1983
05-04-2012, 06:20 PM
We dont work bank holidays and dont charge. It is offered at double fee but all our parents have the bank holidays off too so not a problem really. I do hate april/may time though as there are so many bank holidays close togther and hate losing the money. I do however love the days off.

sarahjane
05-04-2012, 06:30 PM
I don't charge bank holidays but I have to say I'm seriously considering doing it from now on.
I have to say I'm somewhat confused by the extra BH in June for the Jubilee and am wondering if I can get away with charging for it or not :rolleyes:

loocyloo
05-04-2012, 07:25 PM
i don't actually work mondays ( apart from taking a schoolie to school ) so none of my parents are affected usually!

i charge normal fee for bank holiday and triple if asked to work ( although IF i were to be asked, i would probably only charge double, but i'm not telling parents that! )

i'm off next week and not charging the parents and i would say that every family has asked if i'm going away, and when i say i'm not, i'm just having some time off has looked slightly surprised as if i could not possibly want any time without their children around !!! ( i do love all my LO, and they are all little, but thats it, they are little and i want to be able to go out for days with my own children without buggies, nappies, sleeps etc!!! ):D

smurfette
06-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Gosh am I the only sucker working today for normal fees?!! One of my mums is a community mental health nurse and I gave her all Los bags last night and she said wont you need them tomorrow? She hopes to pick up early at around two but I assumed she didn't need me and had been delighted she paid for today with no quibbles! She is off Monday though. I am sitting here
Cross now that i didn't check and charge her double as I am
Pretty sure Daddy is sitting at home today!!!! Grrrrr will
Know for next year!!

miffy
06-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Gosh am I the only sucker working today for normal fees?!! One of my mums is a community mental health nurse and I gave her all Los bags last night and she said wont you need them tomorrow? She hopes to pick up early at around two but I assumed she didn't need me and had been delighted she paid for today with no quibbles! She is off Monday though. I am sitting here
Cross now that i didn't check and charge her double as I am
Pretty sure Daddy is sitting at home today!!!! Grrrrr will
Know for next year!!

Oh no, how annoying! Hope mum manages to pick up early and you have an easy day

Miffy xx

Bridey
06-04-2012, 07:12 AM
I bet she's on double time!

marnieb
06-04-2012, 07:16 AM
When my ds was in nursery i had to pay for BH's, and as he only did 2 days a week and one of them was a Monday, it used to really p*ss me off, and when they closed for Xmas too!!! I'll never forget that, and that is why I dont charge for any time off - whether it be holidays or BH's, as I dont want my parents to be angry at me!!!!

smurfette
06-04-2012, 07:25 AM
And she isn't frigging here yet got out of bed for 8am start!!!!

smurfette
06-04-2012, 07:40 AM
O m g!!!! She has just text to say she is only up after I text her to see if she was en route quote 'I am not too stressed no bosses in today!' I text back and said well I am up since 745 waiting on you I AM SO MAD

anisha
06-04-2012, 08:02 AM
I don't work Bank Holidays but if the child's contracted hours fall on that day they pay the normal fees, if they use me then I charge a time and half.

I guess each childminder is different and charge to see what they feel is right. As many have said it's our business and we set our own rules. I have always paid for my child's Bank/Christmas Holidays whether he was at a nursery or a childminders (when they have been shut).

I find that some parents can be so rude:mad:when they have been asked to pay for the Bank Holidays (It's all in their contracts and explained to them when they come to see me) as a parent said to me she didn't have to pay extra for the Bank Holidays at her son's previous nursery (I told her because they're shut on Bank Holidays!) she looked at me and said, well I'll send him for a couple of hours then, I can get some bits done:mad:

Nick22
06-04-2012, 09:01 AM
we close but charge half, as i see it you have no overheads and enjoy a day off but still get something for it, suits most of our parents, but you will always find someone who will winge. We had a new starter this week, decided it wasn't fair to charge them 2 bank holidays after only 4 days with us so they are let off paying this time, I'm sure they were prepared to pay but it seemed really mean. We are also gonna ended up working one of the days - just to catch up on paperwork and try to get ahead a little bit :(

boxtree7
06-04-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm working today 10.30 till 2.00 ...... dad works nights and mum finishes around 2.00 - the family are going to a wedding in Leeds later today. I'm not doing anything my daughter is in Ireland for Easter and my husband is working. Just sitting watching 5 live while my 2 year pulls everything apart. Normal fee will do so I can pay a babysitter so I can go football tomorrow afternoon.

chez
06-04-2012, 09:14 AM
your business your rules.

I dont charge for bank hols but I MAY be avaiable for work if required for £5 per hour. I will not comit to regular bank hols as I am a Girlguiding Volunteer and often my Bank hols are taken up working for them.

snufflepuff
06-04-2012, 10:54 AM
I do the same as you, normal fees if they don't need me, double fees if they do need me. Unless I'm not able to work in which case there's no fee, just like any other day of the year.

primula
06-04-2012, 11:53 AM
This is what i do, when I am not available I dont charge, I dont want to work bank hols ( family is all at home!) so dont charge. Everyone does things differently.

tulip0803
06-04-2012, 05:28 PM
I am not available today so am not charging. I am available and working on Monday for just over time and a half. I charge normal fees if they do not want to use me as I am open and available to work. I have one child on respite for a disabled parent and another child who has both parents working for the emergency services.

KarenM
09-04-2012, 11:28 AM
I am also working today, well I say working - LO has been asleep for the past two hours! lol. I charge time and a half and there is SS involvements so I am the only other person allowed to look after him. My own daughter is out with friends, my hubby is fast asleep after doing a 24 hour charity event, so I get to still finish the accounts and planning whilst being paid :)
But to the other parents that don't need me, they don't get charged as it is a special arrangement.