PDA

View Full Version : If you are not happy with EYFS ....

Penny1959
05-04-2012, 07:25 AM
......... take a look at Early Childhood Action

http://www.earlychildhoodaction.com/index.html

They are a group of professionals who are joining forces to challenge the government about the unrealistic targets in EYFS amongst other things

Another of their points close to my heart is prem children being addmitted to school based on their actual birth date rather than their due date - as you know I am Granny twin boys born 9 weeks early at the end of August - which means they will go to school at 4yrs 1 week - when technically they should still be THREE - so the odds are stacked against them - prem - twins - boys - end August birthday!!

Just take a look it might not be for you - but if you don't look - you will never know!

At the moment it is free to join - and don't be put off my all the 'big names' and highly qualified people wo are part of ECA - I emailed last night expressing an interest - and got an email back this morning saying tht I would be most welcome to join - and how would I like my name / details to be displayed - so if I am welcome - you will be too.

Penny :)

primula
05-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Morning Penny!
Had a quick scan, looks interesting am I right in thinking that it is like the early PPA ethos learning through play? something close to my heart! Childhood seems so rushed these days, it feels like there is such panic to get them into school at 3 (where I am anyway) to early for some, so sad..
Will have a more indepth look later but at first glance, looks good. Thank you for bringing to our attention.

Pandypops
05-04-2012, 08:30 AM
I have joined - I really support a lot of what they are standing for :)

francinejayne
05-04-2012, 08:30 AM
I joined a while ago, and I believe in everything they are saying - lets please let us allow our children to enjoy their early childhood and stop piling pressure on them from an early age to do 'academic' things!

don't get me wrong, there will always be children eager to learn to read, write, etc and they should be supported and encouraged in their interests, but for those not interested it should not be forced upon them.

my eldest son has an end of August birthday - he wasn't perm but it was still an uphill struggle for him to keep up with the rest of the class - it took until year 4 until there were no differences between the stage he was at and the rest of the class. he is nearly 18 and at college - eventually it does even out, but it was hard work for him at the time.

Carol M
05-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Thank you Penny,
Makes very interesting reading and certainly reflects my feelings. I think the revised EYFS has gone a little way to incorporating their ethos by using the 3 prime areas foremost in the framework but I agree it is still A LONG WAY OFF the desired!
I will be reading up all areas and most probably adding myself the the membership :thumbsup:
Carol xx

caz3007
05-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Popped this into my favourites, will have a proper look later, thanks Penny x

sarah707
05-04-2012, 09:29 AM
I have just joined - thank you for sharing the link Penny.

I had hoped to see more of a focus on play in the new Eyfs... and reading through the revised Eyfs learning and development pages it seems to come a distant second to preparing children for school :(

I also would rather be in it and informed about what is happening than sitting on the sidelines :laughing: :D

kindredspirits
05-04-2012, 11:12 AM
i agree with what they say totally - but I am a little confused with the suggestion that there is a legal school starting age??? Penny, your little grandchildren for example, i was under the impression that school can be deferred until 5 - there is no legal requirement for reception (actually theres no legal requirement for school.) george is 5 and i have never ever once been invited to apply for a school, never been questioned as to why he isn't registered at school or anything.

jumping j
05-04-2012, 11:16 AM
just added it to my favourites to read later, thank you

Penny1959
05-04-2012, 11:27 AM
i agree with what they say totally - but I am a little confused with the suggestion that there is a legal school starting age??? Penny, your little grandchildren for example, i was under the impression that school can be deferred until 5 - there is no legal requirement for reception (actually theres no legal requirement for school.) george is 5 and i have never ever once been invited to apply for a school, never been questioned as to why he isn't registered at school or anything.

You are right about starting school Kindredspirits - it is a legal requirement to start school the term after they are 5 - in my grandsons case this should be Sept 14 (rather than Sept 13) But they will still struggle as they will go straight into year one - and even if the school is willing to let them do the reception year - it seems at some point they will have to skip a year so they go to high school with their age peers. I worry that by missing the reception year that they will struggle to slot into the more formal approach of year one - when technically by due date they will still not be 5.

kindredspirits
05-04-2012, 11:31 AM
oh right - i presumed that if you delayed starting you would still start at the beginning and work your way through the years. i think its mad to expect them to be ready for year 1 when they have just turned 5!! :rolleyes:

rickysmiths
05-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Thank you Penny. I have just sent them an email.

onceinabluemoon
05-04-2012, 03:09 PM
You are right about starting school Kindredspirits - it is a legal requirement to start school the term after they are 5 - in my grandsons case this should be Sept 14 (rather than Sept 13) But they will still struggle as they will go straight into year one - and even if the school is willing to let them do the reception year - it seems at some point they will have to skip a year so they go to high school with their age peers. I worry that by missing the reception year that they will struggle to slot into the more formal approach of year one - when technically by due date they will still not be 5.

Sorry but this is totally wrong. Parents much ensure their child received a full time education from the age of five, however this does not have to be in school. It is not a legal requirement to send a child to school at any age.

Penny if their mum doesn't think they are ready she can teach them at home until she thinks they are. x

Penny1959
05-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Sorry but this is totally wrong. Parents much ensure their child received a full time education from the age of five, however this does not have to be in school. It is not a legal requirement to send a child to school at any age.

Penny if their mum doesn't think they are ready she can teach them at home until she thinks they are. x

Yes of course you are right - it is a full time education that is a legal requirement - I should have made that clear - but in my grandsons case it is not my daughters intention to home educate - which is why I refer to school.

Thanks for correcting me

watgem
05-04-2012, 06:22 PM
thank you for sharing Penny I'm going to join, from all of the research I'm doing for my dissertation there is so much evidence from abroad that when children start formal education aged 6 0r 7 as opposed to 4 or 5 as they do here, their outcomes are so much better, and like Sarah I am very worried about the idea of school readiness:(

marian
05-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I have just had a look and have emailed them to join:)

Marian x

The Juggler
05-04-2012, 09:30 PM
I have joined too! I think Richard House ( of Roehampton Uni) was behind the Open Eye campaign against the original ELG's of the old EYFS.

Will be interesting to see what power/influence they have this time. :)

Penny1959
06-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Yes you are right Juggler - and Open Eye are listed as one of the group supporters

I hope they do make a difference - and it is true to say the more people who back this the bigger voice they will have.

miffy
06-04-2012, 07:14 AM
Thanks Penny, makes interesting reading

Miffy xx