PDA

View Full Version : My new Mindee had a bad accident here today

sazzoo
04-04-2012, 11:37 PM
I just feel so bad about it so I thought I would post here. The little one I was looking after ran across the room and fell into the radiator edge. She tripped over her own feet and has a vertical cut on her forehead. I called an ambulance and her mum, and they have glued it at A & E. The radiator is under the breakfast bar and so difficult to access anyway. I just feel aweful that she is going to have a scar, but there was nothing to trip over and her mum says she always trips over when she runs. Child is 2 1/2 Mum rang me to say shes fine and can I still have her tomorrow. I just feel so bad as she has only just started last week with me. I rang the NCMA and they are sending me an accident form and I have done the Accident and Incident book. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

PixiePetal
04-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Things do happen no matter how careful we are.

If you have it all written up and signed by parents and done all that you should then don't fret.

I had a mindee climb into my phil & ted buggy which was in kitchen waiting to go out, it tipped back and he hit his chin on the floor - splitting his chin open - his dad had only just dropped him off :o Quick trip to A&E with dad, both parents were fine, I added to RAs that I would not leave buggy there in future and did all the paperwork then carried on with things. He is still an adventurous lad. Has been with me over 2 years now :)

Maybe add on RA that you will put a cushion over the radiator edge or something?

Tink
05-04-2012, 06:15 AM
Don't feel bad, accidents do happen and we cannot prevent everyone. AS the child visited A&E did you inform Ofsted? I know you said you phoned NCMA, hope the child is okay now and like PixiePetal said update your RA Hope your okay now XxX

Mummits
05-04-2012, 07:28 AM
I had a little one trip over his own feet and put his own front teeth through his bottom lip. It looked absolutely terrible and Mum was absolutely vile to me about it - though she honestly couldn't have made me feel any worse.
I saw Dad a couple of days later and he said exactly the same thing had just happened when they were all at the park so he could see there was absolutely nothing I could have done to prevent it.

Try not to fret about it. It is what toddlers do, unfortunately, and there is a limit to how much cotton wool you can wrap them up in!

BucksCM
05-04-2012, 08:21 AM
I had a mindee break an arm!! Went to a park he'd been to the day before with parents! Just my luck!
As mentioned, ring Ofsted, Insurer(NCMA or MM) fill out accident record and take extra copies as Ofsted and insurer will need a copy. when you ring Ofsted they should give you an accident number to put on paperwork. I was also told to ring RIDDOR and let them know...but because it was "just an accident" it wasn't reportable unless i felt the need to fill out extra paperwork. I also gave copies af all the paperwork to the parents for their files.
Think I've covered everything!:D

(Thought I'd add that 3 weeks later, same mindee fell over at school and broke little finger! From what Mum said, she had just the slip the school send out. "...has fallen today and hurt..." Couldn't believe it, I had to jump through hoops!!)

kindredspirits
05-04-2012, 08:53 AM
don't worry - accidents happen!! was mindee wearing shoes?? I only ask as my DS often starts to trip over his own feet when his shoes start to get a bit too small - and OMG that happens waaay too often he grows out of a pair of shoes in the space of a couple of months atm!

mindingmummy08
05-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Not had this in my setting (touch wood) but just to say that my little boy tripped at nursery and banged his head on the window sill, he had to go and have his head glued and will have a little scar but honestly I don't feel bad towards the school or anything so don't you feel bad either.

Kids are kids and these things happen every day. The fact you feel so bad shows what a good childminder you are!

BucksCM
05-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Just wanted to add that there are creams out there that can help reduce scaring...aloe is one that comes to mind but I think there are more. You could let mum know.:idea:
And as others have said...it really was an accident and the natural reaction IS to feel bad about it...but try not to :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
05-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Don't feel bad, accidents do happen and we cannot prevent everyone. AS the child visited A&E did you inform Ofsted? I know you said you phoned NCMA, hope the child is okay now and like PixiePetal said update your RA Hope your okay now XxX

You don't have to inform Ofsted for a visit to A & E. Only if the child is admitted to hospital for more than 24 hours.

sazzoo
05-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks for all your support. I rang ofsted but they say its not reportable as no operation, loss of consciousness or hospital admission. Child was fine this a m happy and smiling. Cut looks so much smaller now its been glued and will probably heal without much of a mark TG. Ive hung towels on the ends of the radiators today just incase

karensmart4
05-04-2012, 03:20 PM
I am paranoid about radiators and always cover mine with a cot blanket, tuck it in all the way round to keep it in place and soften any blows.... must invest in some radiator covers one day :idea:

My husband and foster son were play fighting and my husband fell against the radiator and split his nose open, he now has a very manly scar :panic: I have always covered them since.

I'm also paranoid about the kiddies chairs being tipped upside down with the legs pointing up....... I must have an over active imagination because just the thought of it sends shivers down my back :eek:

Hope mindee is ok and you are too :group hug: