PDA

View Full Version : caterpillars

jumping j
04-04-2012, 06:09 PM
When I first got the caterpillars they were around 1cm long, I think I'm more excited about how they're growing than the lo's are!!! Can't wait till they got into their cocoon's :clapping:

sarah707
04-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Wow you can really see the difference!

Will you keep us posted please :D

jumping j
04-04-2012, 08:03 PM
I sure will, I love checking them every morning to see what they've done, shame the lo's aren't as excited!!!:laughing::laughing:

sdean
04-04-2012, 09:16 PM
we did caterpillars last year - it is amazing how quickly they grow isn't it - we missed all but one hatching last year - the last one decided to hatch just as we were leaving on the school run - we made the decision that we would get more out of watching the butterfly hatch so explained why we were late when we got there! :blush:

Must get mine ordered for this year!

miffy
04-04-2012, 09:20 PM
We did the caterpillars last year too, they are fascinating to watch.

We shared ours with school, one of my mindees took them in to her class and then they released them.

Miffy xx

angeldelight
04-04-2012, 09:24 PM
They give me the creeps

I know what they are going to turn into yuk :laughing:

I have gone all funny seeing those pics ha ha

Angel xx

miffy
04-04-2012, 09:34 PM
They give me the creeps

I know what they are going to turn into yuk :laughing:

I have gone all funny seeing those pics ha ha

Angel xx

You'll be having nightmares about floaters next :panic:

Miffy xx

angeldelight
04-04-2012, 09:44 PM
You'll be having nightmares about floaters next :panic:

Miffy xx

:laughing::laughing:Yes Miffy one good thing about this horrible weather is that they stay away :laughing:

Angel xx

jumping j
11-04-2012, 01:45 PM
3 out of 5 are in their cocoon's, one's hanging upside down and looks ready to go in and the other one is still crawling about, irritating the other 4!!!
I'll post the pictures later but one of the cocoon's has been wriggling about so I don't think it'll be long until we have butterflies!!!
I keep checking on them coz I want to try and get a picture of at least one of them coming out!!!:laughing:

AgentTink
11-04-2012, 02:01 PM
It all sounds so exciting. I have ordered the caterpillars and the ladybird eggs, so i cannot wait for them to arrive :clapping:

jumping j
11-04-2012, 05:59 PM
as promised the pictures of the caterpillars from this week, the last one has just started to hang upside down so hopefully I'll be transferring them tomorrow when my schoolies are here!

primula
11-04-2012, 07:33 PM
We had these a couple of years ago and let them out in the garden about 4 of them landed on my daughter! she was so thrilled! didnt know they did ladybird eggs, on my list!

sdean
11-04-2012, 08:28 PM
as promised the pictures of the caterpillars from this week, the last one has just started to hang upside down so hopefully I'll be transferring them tomorrow when my schoolies are here!

Just to warn you if you have not done these before - it really stinks when you open the pot it really made me gip - so just beware ha ha

Helen Dempster
11-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I just love, love, love this activity - we do it every year. I'm sure our caterpillars were bigger this year though, they seemed HUGE. The last one cocooned itself today, so they are now in their house all ready to turn into beautiful butterflies - we missed them all turning last year, so hopefully we'll have more luck this year LOL. I've got some lovely pics of the mindees and my own DS setting them free though :)

murrayspud
11-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Might be a silly question, but where do you get caterpillar/ladybird eggs from??

Kathryn x

sdean
12-04-2012, 06:59 AM
http://www.insectlore-europe.com/shop/Butterflies/c-1-1/

jumping j
12-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Just to warn you if you have not done these before - it really stinks when you open the pot it really made me gip - so just beware ha ha

Thanks for the warning, the last one is upside down so think they will be ready to transfer by this evening, I'll be wearing a peg on my nose I think!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

flowerpots
12-04-2012, 07:09 AM
This is fab, im definately going to do this next year, thanks for the updates. :D

jane5
12-04-2012, 01:25 PM

I have had my caterpillars for 12 days now and I am afraid they are disgusting and really creeping me out.:o

I thought they would be lovely colourful things (like in the book) but they are not they are black and hairy and they keep prodding each other if one gets too close, I am dreading having to open the container and transferring them.:panic:

My dd and the mindees are loving them though :cool:

lulubelle
12-04-2012, 04:06 PM
we let our butterflys go last week, my lo was really excitted as one flew off then came back and landed on his hand!

miffy
12-04-2012, 04:17 PM

I had to get my hubby to move mine couldn't face it myself :panic:

I'm waiting until June before I get some.

Didn't know they did ladybird eggs, mind there are loads of ladybirds in the garden anyway this year.

Miffy xx

jumping j
13-04-2012, 07:13 AM
I transferred them last night just before the lo's left and they are now hanging in their habitat.

Think I might do some crafts with the lo's next week around the caterpillars, keep them interested while they wait for the butterflies to arrive.

It's no good asking my OH to do things he's more scared of creepy crawlies than most of the children and has beed known to run from the room screaming at the sight of a spider, it's at times like this I struggle to remember why I love him!!!:laughing::laughing:

miffy
13-04-2012, 07:23 AM
The works had some lovely life cycle books including caterpillar to butterfly.

Miffy xx

ChocolateChip
13-04-2012, 04:30 PM
This all looks really exciting, definitely going to give this a go, thanks for the link to the website and info!

jumping j
21-04-2012, 12:09 PM
I've missed the first 2 coming out, they are attached to the side of the net 'drying out' I'm keeping a keen eye on the other 3 to try to get a picture of them