PDA

View Full Version : No downstairs toilet

Trpta108
04-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Just wondering what others do who have no downstairs toilet. I am wondering about washing mindees hands, our own hands, nappy changing, taking mindees to the toilet etc. I know I shouldn't really be using the kitchen sink to wash hands, but it just seems too much hassle to drag all the little ones upstairs every time I have changed a nappy.

ChildcareCate
04-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Sadly I have no downstairs toilet either. I do use the kitchen sink to wash hands and mindees and use paper towel for drying them. I remove the plastic bowl from the sink so no contact with anything that I wash dishes in. I did this during an Ofsted Inspection and no negative comment was made. I do take all the mindees up to the toilet when one needs to go as well, which is a bit of a pain at times but you do get used to it.

Bushpig
04-04-2012, 12:08 PM
I have a downstairs loo which is very handy for washing hands and toilet training! But I change nappies in the lounge, did this in front of the inspector last week and she was fine with it.

Chimps Childminding
04-04-2012, 04:39 PM
I now have a downstairs toilet, but before I did I always did (and still do) nappy changes in the playroom and just washed my hands in the little middle bit of my kitchen sink (IYKWIM). Mindees hands were also washed in there before eating or after messy/outdoor play!

Trpta108
04-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Sadly I have no downstairs toilet either. I do use the kitchen sink to wash hands and mindees and use paper towel for drying them. I remove the plastic bowl from the sink so no contact with anything that I wash dishes in. I did this during an Ofsted Inspection and no negative comment was made. I do take all the mindees up to the toilet when one needs to go as well, which is a bit of a pain at times but you do get used to it.

Where do you empty the plastic bowl? I was using a bowl, but I had to empty it in the sink anyway, so didn't see the point.

Penny1959
04-04-2012, 05:47 PM
I do not have a downstairs loo - and right now I am wishing I did - I look after 4 two year olds each day (but 6x 2 year olds on my books)- one has just mastered toilet training and goes up and down stairs herself - but can't yet manage to wipe after a poo, two have just started potty training - so two potty's in the lounge - both are very good - but boy do they go a lot - so up and down the stairs I go to empty and wash potty's and then of course wash my hands I am shattered today!

With regard to other things - I use anti bac gel to do children's hands before eating - and wipes for nappy changing '/ using potty (they don't actually touch anything) once they can go to toilet upstairs the use water and anti bac soap.

At my inspection Ofsted were fine with this - I do keep anti bac gel in changing trolley for my hands and have some in bag when go out - in case of a really messy nappy or no soap available in toilets.

Penny :)

Trpta108
04-04-2012, 06:10 PM
I do not have a downstairs loo - and right now I am wishing I did - I look after 4 two year olds each day (but 6x 2 year olds on my books)- one has just mastered toilet training and goes up and down stairs herself - but can't yet manage to wipe after a poo, two have just started potty training - so two potty's in the lounge - both are very good - but boy do they go a lot - so up and down the stairs I go to empty and wash potty's and then of course wash my hands I am shattered today!

With regard to other things - I use anti bac gel to do children's hands before eating - and wipes for nappy changing '/ using potty (they don't actually touch anything) once they can go to toilet upstairs the use water and anti bac soap.

At my inspection Ofsted were fine with this - I do keep anti bac gel in changing trolley for my hands and have some in bag when go out - in case of a really messy nappy or no soap available in toilets.

Penny :)

I haven't got any mindees potty training yet. I am dreading that now.

ChildcareCate
05-04-2012, 01:14 AM
What I meant was that I take the plastic bowl out of the sink first then wash hands! Sorry to confuse.

Trpta108
05-04-2012, 06:25 AM
What I meant was that I take the plastic bowl out of the sink first then wash hands! Sorry to confuse.

Oh, I see. That makes sense.

Babycat
05-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Gel after nappy change in lounge or caught short with potty downstairs. hand wash bowls and jug at snack/ meals to give kids practice with soap and water.

Katiekoo
05-04-2012, 09:04 PM
My dd is the only one big enough (nearly 4) to use the toilet, and I let her go upstairs alone, watching her on the stairs, and calling up to her a lot! She's never had any problems so far.
Until now I kept the potty down stairs for her to use, emptied it after into toilet and cleaned quickly - same amount of time I would normally be happy to leave them (if I went to the loo myself). Hand washing - wipes and baby anti-bac for little ones, in the kitchen sink (removing washing up bowl first) for bigger ones.
hth :)

onceinabluemoon
07-04-2012, 08:29 AM
I wash my hands in the kitchen sink, dishes are washed in the dishwasher apart from the little plastic snack bowls which flip over in the dishwasher and they're done in a wash up bowl. Mindees wash their hands in a kiddiwash in the playroom. My kitchen sink has taps which you turn with your wrists (they have elves rather than a round bit to turn) so contamination is minimal,