PDA

View Full Version : childminded children using mobile phones

cupcake mummy
04-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Hi

this is my first time on the forum so please bear with me! I'm after some advice/info please, one of my childminded children who is 10 arrived yesterday with a mobile phone in their pocket. I asked them to put it away and not use it but they snuck it upstairs to my sons bedroom (which is registered as a playroom) and sent and received several texts and phone calls. I again asked them to put it away and not use which they eventually did but when mum arrived she asked why the child couldn't answer their phone as she was calling it! I asked her not to send it again but she thinks I am being unreasonable - it's their phone and it's up to her whether her child has a phone or not. I am worried about child protection issues as I don't know who the child is phoning or texting, is the child taking photos of other children on the phone and as it's a smart phone does the child have internet access.

Any advice gratefully received as I think I am right on this one but would like it confirmed - thanks Tracey

caz3007
04-04-2012, 10:54 AM
In my view a 10 year old is too young to have one, but have had mindies younger than that who have had them. I dont allow them in my house as wouldnt want them to get lost and also like you say, you dont have any control over what the content is. Even when I have had older after school children who have used my computer, we have agreed the websites and they are in full view

Bridey
04-04-2012, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't accept a child having a phone switched on. Neither would I accept a parent thinking the measures I take to safeguard the children in my care unreasonable. I think a written policy is required asap.

I have a 12 year old who comes here with a phone as he walks here alone. When he gets here he switches it off, puts it in his bag and goes and does his homework or chills in front of the tv/PS2. Its never even occurred to either him or me that he might want to keep the phone on! :rolleyes:

rickysmiths
04-04-2012, 10:58 AM
My rule would be that the phone would be with me and switched off while it was in the house and returned at home time.

It is in my view a child protection issue someone else having a mobile in my home while I am childminding.

My rules in my house.

Bridey
04-04-2012, 11:01 AM
I agree RS - I have the same mantra here: My house, my rules!

boxtree7
04-04-2012, 11:22 AM
I never encourage items from home ........ If children arrive with anything its put away till home time.

Pipsqueak
04-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Hi

this is my first time on the forum so please bear with me! I'm after some advice/info please, one of my childminded children who is 10 arrived yesterday with a mobile phone in their pocket. I asked them to put it away and not use it but they snuck it upstairs to my sons bedroom (which is registered as a playroom) and sent and received several texts and phone calls. I again asked them to put it away and not use which they eventually did but when mum arrived she asked why the child couldn't answer their phone as she was calling it! I asked her not to send it again but she thinks I am being unreasonable - it's their phone and it's up to her whether her child has a phone or not. I am worried about child protection issues as I don't know who the child is phoning or texting, is the child taking photos of other children on the phone and as it's a smart phone does the child have internet access.

Any advice gratefully received as I think I am right on this one but would like it confirmed - thanks Tracey

Well to be blunt with the parent:

this is your business ergo your rules and you say no
this is your home ergo your rules

however other additional factors:
if the parent needs/wants to contact the child they do it via you (they cannot just contact the child at school)
the child could be sending/reciving texts that are unwarrented / a child protection issues
they could be accessing inappropriate material (including already stored material) and possibly sharing it with other children - this includes songs that are explictly worded for instance
they could be taking photographs of other children and you cannot allow that
you don't want photographs taken of your home
you don't want the phone being lost or damaged, therefore if the child arrives with it you will take it off them and give to parent or store it for the day
you would prefer NOT to be responsible for someone elses' expensive property

there are plenty of other activities (that you provide) the child should/could be engaged in and not on the phone/texting etc.

at the end of the day - these are YOUR rules and if they don't like it... bye bye

Mouse
04-04-2012, 11:51 AM
The new EYFS specifically mentions having a policy regarding the use of mobile phones in a childcare setting. I think that is more for members of staff, but could certainly be relevent for children bringing mobile phones into the setting.

Maybe it would be worth looking at what the new framework says & wording it into a policy now.

Then, no matter what mum says, you can tell her that it is a safeguarding issue that you have to take seriously. No doubt she will say her son would never do anything wrong, in which case you can say you know he wouldn't, but it's out of your hands - Ofsted frown on the use of mobile phones in a childcare setting, so you have to go along with that.

I would also add a bit to the policy about if parents want to contact their child during the day, they need to do it through you.

Chimps Childminding
04-04-2012, 04:36 PM
I agree with Pipsqueak!

~Chelle~
04-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Well to be blunt with the parent:

this is your business ergo your rules and you say no
this is your home ergo your rules

however other additional factors:
if the parent needs/wants to contact the child they do it via you (they cannot just contact the child at school)
the child could be sending/reciving texts that are unwarrented / a child protection issues
they could be accessing inappropriate material (including already stored material) and possibly sharing it with other children - this includes songs that are explictly worded for instance
they could be taking photographs of other children and you cannot allow that
you don't want photographs taken of your home
you don't want the phone being lost or damaged, therefore if the child arrives with it you will take it off them and give to parent or store it for the day
you would prefer NOT to be responsible for someone elses' expensive property

there are plenty of other activities (that you provide) the child should/could be engaged in and not on the phone/texting etc.

at the end of the day - these are YOUR rules and if they don't like it... bye bye

Agreed :thumbsup:

I think mum is being totally unreasonable, why does she need to contact him during the day anyway?? Surely if she needs to contact him, then she would call you first??

x

cupcake mummy
04-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I agree with all the above comments I just wanted to check other childminders feel the same.

I have had several issues with this parent about what their child is/isn't allowed to do - she seems to think that if she allows it then so should I. I have tried to explain that as a childminder I have legal responsibilities for all the children in my care and I must work within Ofsted's regulations - she treats it as though the child is going round to a friends house to play. She thinks I should allow the child to walk to and from school alone rather than with me, that the child should be able to play out with their friends and go to the park without me, that they should be able to leave my house alone to walk home or go round to a friends house - the list goes on! I have told her on several occasions that I can not be responsible for a child that isn't under my supervision and she says that she wouldn't hold me responsible (which is fine until something happened to the child and I was found to be negligent!)

I just keep telling myself that there's only a few months left until the child goes to high school and will no longer be in my care - I know it sounds awful but there seems to be a different issue every couple of weeks and it's really getting to me now.

Once again thanks for the advice and opinions, I feel more confident now that I am right and dealing with it correctly.