PDA

View Full Version : survival tips?

samkeddy
04-04-2012, 06:23 AM
Please help me, i really love my job, but i drown in school holidays!!!!!
i have 7 children to entertain from 7am-6pm.

mine - girl 4 and girl 3.
7-4.30 - girl 4
9-5.00 - boy 5
10-3 - girl 3
4.30-6 - girl 2and boy 9mth

I find it so hard, yesterday we attended an easter party 9-11.30, had lunch 12.30, made bunny copters, played on just dance, had a pretend tea party, played in ball pool, drew moshi monsters, played with train set and jigsaws and maybe more...........................................But it wasnt enough, the activities i plan never seem to last long enough, i seemed to do nothing but be telling people off yesterday and i hate that!!!!

and now the weather has turned yuk half the planning for today and tomorrow will be no good!! i was looking forward to a day planting in our allotment tomorrow:rolleyes:

Does anyone else struggle? Can anyone help? Please? lol

Tia x

Mummits
04-04-2012, 06:43 AM
My goodness! How come you have so many? Is it just holidays, or do you have that many all the time? I take my hat off to you!

For what it's worth, I'd try to spend a good chunk of the day out somewhere and wear them out. Is there a play barn or something like that nearby, or a children's centre with activities on? Also, unless it's truly horrible weather, I wouldn't rule out getting outside for a walk or play in the woods, suitably kitted out with waterproofs and wellies. At least you don't have a huge spread of ages to cater for. My problem in the holidays is finding places I can go with a baby and children up to twelve.

samkeddy
04-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Thankyou, ye think your right we need to get out of the house but i have to admit i hate softplay areas in the holidays, too busy and im always scared of the big kids knocking over the smaller ones.

I have these children all the time, i have a variation for 4 under 5s everyday but usually 3 of them attend nursery (all different times and days) and the 5year old boy is just after school, im not used to filling all this time lol!!

The weather is yuk rain, snow and wind!! But think we may go for a walk anyway, nothing beats jumping in muddy puddles:D

Then sure start have an open day today, got some easter puppets to make too, your right tho im glad they are all the same age i find it difficult to juggle babies with older ones, i feel for you!!

mama2three
04-04-2012, 06:59 AM
I found with the bigger ones the more I planned the more they needed me to plan. They expected to be given activities to do , rushed through them , and then got bored. I think its because they are used to school environments where they are constantly given a task..and then on to the next..

If this weather keeps up how about a cinema afternoon. They can write price lists , make and sell tickets and popcorn , sit in the dark with torches ...

Or if its raining go for a wetwalk! Hoods and wellies , one bucket each to collect as much water as they can - pouring and measuring when you get back to see who collected the most , putting the results on a chart...loads of links to eyfs , and no moans about the rain if the walk has a purpose.

samkeddy
04-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Or if its raining go for a wetwalk! Hoods and wellies , one bucket each to collect as much water as they can - pouring and measuring when you get back to see who collected the most , putting the results on a chart...loads of links to eyfs , and no moans about the rain if the walk has a purpose.

I love this idea its fantastic thankyou!!!:D

kats
04-04-2012, 09:35 AM
I must admit that i find school holidays quite hard too but i have learnt now that you cant plan for all day because as you say the activities you plan seem to be over with very quickly. I have learnt that sometimes you just have to let the children play independently with the resources they have around them, most of the time they will use their imaginations and end up playing things i would have never thought of (if you know what i mean).This week we have done loads of Easter activities and they have loved it but right now they are all in the conservatory with the dolls playing Britains got talent, (their idea) ha ha. I just dont think you can always be providing things to do, their is nothing wrong with letting them lead the play sometimes!! :)