PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice about studying for a degree or foundation degree

Lily Grace
03-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Hi I want to get more qualifications/training but I don't know where to start.

Do I do a foundation degree which doesn't take as long as the full degree or do I just go for it and do the degree.

What route can I take as I have been on the OU website and I am still not sure what degree I can do and still childmind. Any advice would be great.

A x

jumpinjen
03-04-2012, 07:45 PM
the first year of a degree is a foundation degree, so if you want to go al the way you may as well do the degree - you get a fairly long time with the OU to finish it tbh so you could do one 60 credit module a year and take a break after each module and then that will take you 6 years to do it. The OU will happily advise you if you send an e-mail request or call them. Are you hoping to get some funding from your EY team or are you paying for it yourself?

Jen x

The Juggler
03-04-2012, 08:30 PM
should be the same amount of time hon. I did the FD over 2 years. so equal to the first and second year of a degree. I did the top up year (6 months really) at uni to get my full degree :thumbsup:

watgem
04-04-2012, 07:26 AM
I am nearing the end of my BA, I did the 2 year foundation degree at my local training centre which is an outreach of Worcester uni, and we had the option of topping up to a BA which I took, so 3 years altogether, hard work but its gone very quickly I have to say:)

suzyblue
04-04-2012, 07:50 AM
I am doing my degree through the Open University, Im on year 3 of 5 to complete the full degree but the first years course gives you a level 4 qualification by itself so well worth doing. I work 55 hours a week and am managing to fit it in (although I dont have small children of my own so can study at the weekends) The Foundation Degree takes 4 years but you can do two modules together to save time.
I thoroughly recommend the Foundation Degree in Early Years. I dont plan to change my job but the course has made me much more confident in my work and in my personal life too.
Go for it! :thumbsup:

manjay
04-04-2012, 08:03 AM
I would say start off with a Foundation Degree as the whole point of them is to work at the same time. I studied online with a local Uni and the FD takes 2 years. I have had a year off and I am going to start the top up (again part time distance learning) in October.

Further study is not for everyone and from my experience of the course many don't realise until they have actually started. Our course gave you the option to stop after each level so you can decide when you have reached your own personal limit.

Good luck:thumbsup:

Playmate
04-04-2012, 08:13 AM
should be the same amount of time hon. I did the FD over 2 years. so equal to the first and second year of a degree. I did the top up year (6 months really) at uni to get my full degree :thumbsup:

mine is the same, I'm just coming to the end of my foundation degree after nearly 2 years. Unfortunately our uni has now changed the top up year to 2 years and charging £7,000 for the pleasure so I won't being going any futher at present :(

Lily Grace
04-04-2012, 08:16 AM
thanks for advice. OK so I need to decide whether to do the foundation degree or the full, I will have a think about it. Unfortunately I probably wont get any funding but it is something I really want to do.

A x

manjay
04-04-2012, 08:21 AM
mine is the same, I'm just coming to the end of my foundation degree after nearly 2 years. Unfortunately our uni has now changed the top up year to 2 years and charging £7,000 for the pleasure so I won't being going any futher at present :(

That is an extortionate price! Our top up is over 2 years and is £1250 a year which is a huge difference!