PDA

View Full Version : Update!

littlewonders
31-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Morning all :)

The meeting went well yesterday. Mum had 2 children aged 10 and 7, would need me saturdays and sundays 9am - 6pm. Children were lovely very placid :)
I think I did ok, didn't have any awkward silences. They are going away tomorrow for 2 weeks and wouldn't need me until end of June. I gave her a parent pack with all my policies etc in and told her to have a good think about it and let me know when she is ready. So we'll have to wait and see, she said it will probably be after the hols :panic: But I think she seemed genuinely happy with what I had to offer. Fingers crossed :)

On a slightly seperate note, IF I was to become their childminder, fee's would be £140pw, I haven't given her a price yet but because they're siblings I was thinking of taking £40pw off as a discount......is this too little/too much?

On a totally seperate note, just before getting into the meeting I had a phonecall from another mum who lives round the corner wanting to see me regarding looking after her 2yo Tuesdays and Thursdays :clapping: I see her tomorrow at 11am - I was much better on the phone with her ;) hehe.

Ooops, sorry I didn't mean to write an essay - I am just sooo sooo excited and glad especially as there are quite a few cm's round here.

LittleAcorns
31-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Hi Sammie,

I hope everything works out ok, re the discount, I look after 3 children from the same family, and give a 10% discount £40 a week discount in my opinion is too much, honestly I can remember really wanting to take care of these kids, and thinking what I can offer to secure it BUT you still provide the same level of care so still should be paid accordingly. I would offer a 10% discount taking it down to £126 a week

Good luck with your other meeting :jump for joy:

miffy
31-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Sorry Sammie but I wouldn't offer any discount for weekend work at all - I think what you are charging (£140) is very reasonable in the first place.

I hope it works out for you and good luck with the other enquiry

miffy xx

LittleAcorns
31-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Of course its weekend isnt it, I read that bit then completely forgot :blush: no I wouldnt offer discount for a weekend, are you going to get any days off in the week to compensate?

manjay
31-05-2008, 07:26 AM
I am really pleased the meeting went well for you and that you have another one in the pipeline!!!

Personally I don't offer discounts for siblings as they are both taking one of my spaces. I know they are older and as such may be easier to look after but they will still eat loads and they also use more craft stuff somehow:D

I think I would also worry that taking on these children would preclude me from taking on a full timer during the week iyswim or else you may find yourself working 7 days a week. Weekend working is definitely not for me. It is the time my children get me to them selves but I suppose it depends on your circumstances and how much you need the contract.

Good luck. I hope things work out the way you want them to:thumbsup:

angeldelight
31-05-2008, 09:36 AM
That is good news glad it went ok

I do offer a discount for familys but I have worked weekends and its hard work knowing you have no time for your family or yourself so no way at weekends would I offer any discount

Remember too they would more than likely be getting tax credits so would get a lot of their childminding fees paid by them

You are offering unsocial hours here

Dont be soft - not many people would work those hours

Good luck

Angel xx

mrsb
31-05-2008, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't offer a discount either - definately not £40 anyway. This is weekend work, meaning you will have no "me time" or time with your own family etc, or even just time to go out on your own etc. I wouldn't offer all weekend work personally, more than anything else my hubby would kill me:laughing:

chez1373
31-05-2008, 12:07 PM
glad things are looking up. i dont give discounts u have to think you could fill that place with a full pay child....

Spangles
31-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Things are really looking good for you, you must be chuffed!

I wouldn't offer a discount to siblings and definitely, definitely not for weekend work. If you really feel you should, I strongly feel that £40 is waaaaaay too much! That's nearly a 1/3 off! Have you sat and thought how many hours that would mean you will be basically working for free? That's how you've got to look at it.

Having said that, it's your business and I know you don't want to risk losing them so you have to do what you think is right. Maybe you could do a discount for the first 2 or 3 weeks to get them hooked and make it clear at the beginning in the contract that that's the case?

sue32
31-05-2008, 02:33 PM
I would not offer discount for weekend work as it is my time with my husband and son when I see him (16 and out with friends). I dont do sibling discount as they take up two spaces and if they are late you got 2 children waiting instead of one

disney
31-05-2008, 03:10 PM
i wouldnt offer any discount as it is a weekend i dont work weekends any way but if i did i wouldnt do a discount . idont know any cm that works the weekend in this village at all ! so i suppose if i did look after these children then they would be lucky to have me so i wouldnt discount .

but on normal days i discount for siblings but im also stating to wonder why as again after chating with other minders in my area they dont discount for brothers & sisters as they say they can charge full fee for 2 children from seprate familys so why lose out ifuswim so their you go . but i am pleased for you:D

Pudding Girl
31-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't offer a discount in these circumstances either, it is a weekend, and assuming they themselves will be on a weekend rate for their wages ;) ??

Glad to hear you are getting good enquriries and bookings :) :thumbsup:

jaja
31-05-2008, 09:34 PM
how did you get on? any news on 2 year old? xx

wendywu
31-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I would not offer a discount. I also think that your rate should be a bit higher as it is every sat and sunday. I would add food to that total and also make it clear that any outings that you may do as it is a weekend will be extra. Because if you decide that you want to take your own family to the cinema and to pizza hut after you could find yourself out of pocket, or your family would suffer as you would not be able to do weekend things. :)