PDA

View Full Version : WE HAVE SHOOTS!!

silvermist
03-04-2012, 08:26 AM
After thinking my grand daughter had drowned our budding potato crop with a spot of over watering, I have just noticed we have shoots! How exciting, how is everyone getting on with their grow your own potatoes?:clapping:

AgentTink
03-04-2012, 09:00 AM
I put mine out a week later than i should of, so I am still waiting for anything to show. However I have been taking good care of them, I even put them in the shed last night due to drop in temperture.

I have become obsessed with all our growing things this year. We have no window space left in the house as we have 15 sunflowers which are about 25 cm high each, 3 pumpkin plants which are huge, a tray of over 20 tomatoe little shoots, 2 containers of pea plants, 10 plant pots of peppers stems about 10 cm each, and im currently trying to grow the strawberry seeds. The kids are loving checking every day how we are going.:clapping:

silvermist
03-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Crikey you have been busy! Im planning a veggie patch for garden and cant wait to get started! Its very exciting to watch it all grow!

Natternic
03-04-2012, 09:44 AM
no shoots for us yet, but we have planted carrots, and sunflowers too.
Dont you think its strange that most of us childminders like and do the same things, bizarre.

PixiePetal
03-04-2012, 09:57 AM
my potato council potatoes were useless this year - one variety were all rotten on arrival!

would have asked for more but on hols now and might just buy a few to put in when I get home

got tomatoes to plant and spinach and lettuce - all grow bag/planter sized stuff :thumbsup:

silvermist
03-04-2012, 10:57 AM
no shoots for us yet, but we have planted carrots, and sunflowers too.
Dont you think its strange that most of us childminders like and do the same things, bizarre.

It is funny, especially when people are posting and they say same thing! Us childminders are a delightful breed!:laughing:

jumping j
03-04-2012, 11:16 AM
mine are just showing through. The sunflowers have started to grow as has the 'fairy garden' lots of wild flowers I'v left to grow in a corner of the garden.
I'm also growing loads of veg, but I can't remember what I planted where so I don't know what's growing and what isn't!!!:panic:
It'll be vegatable suprise for dinner!!!:laughing:

silvermist
03-04-2012, 11:20 AM
mine are just showing through. The sunflowers have started to grow as has the 'fairy garden' lots of wild flowers I'v left to grow in a corner of the garden.
I'm also growing loads of veg, but I can't remember what I planted where so I don't know what's growing and what isn't!!!:panic:
It'll be vegatable suprise for dinner!!!:laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

lozzy23
03-04-2012, 11:41 AM
One shoot appeared yesterday:clapping:

allison
03-04-2012, 12:47 PM
still waiting for them to start. i did put mine out a week late

silvermist
03-04-2012, 12:50 PM
One shoot appeared yesterday:clapping:

Funny how a little bit of greenery gets you all excited hey! I must admit I am really looking forward to harvest time. Did anyone put the spare potato in a bottle? I did and thats shooting too so even more excited about watching what happens beneath the soil!! Sad fact is though, I think Im more excited than the kiddies right now!:laughing:

Playmate
03-04-2012, 02:23 PM
There are no shoots in our bags yet but our trail potato is doing well :D

sillysausage
03-04-2012, 03:31 PM
We have shoots in our potato bags too. They will need plenty of water in the summer if you want to get a good crop and as he bags have holes in the bottom it's quite hard to 'drown' them.

We have no window space left in the house as we have 15 sunflowers which are about 25 cm high each, 3 pumpkin plants which are huge, a tray of over 20 tomatoe little shoots, 2 containers of pea plants, 10 plant pots of peppers stems about 10 cm each, and im currently trying to grow the strawberry seeds.

I'm a bit the same on window space. We've got 30 tomato plants (LO's got a bit enthusiastic with the seeds), aubergines, peppers and leeks. We're going to be planting french beans and courgettes soon. We forgot to plant our sunflower seeds so they're still to do too.

silvermist
03-04-2012, 04:23 PM
There are no shoots in our bags yet but our trail potato is doing well :D

Wow! Thats very impressive, mine is just a tiny speck of green at the moment!:)

miffy
03-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Have only just planted ours out today :blush: - they'll probably wither and die it's so cold :(

Miffy xx

silvermist
03-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Bring them in at night to keep them cosy! :laughing:

miffy
03-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Bring them in at night to keep them cosy! :laughing:

I did read that in the booklet but don't think I'll be doing it - I've put them in a sheltered spot and we'll hope for the best!

Miffy xx

breezy
03-04-2012, 04:45 PM
No shoots yet, but only planted them yesterday, forgot all about them:blush:

silvermist
03-04-2012, 04:45 PM
I did read that in the booklet but don't think I'll be doing it - I've put them in a sheltered spot and we'll hope for the best!

Miffy xx

What no cosy little bed with blanket!:eek: Poor little taters!:laughing:

miffy
03-04-2012, 04:50 PM
No shoots yet, but only planted them yesterday, forgot all about them:blush:

Glad it's not just me then! :laughing:

Miffy xx

miffy
03-04-2012, 04:51 PM
What no cosy little bed with blanket!:eek: Poor little taters!:laughing:

Nah, in my garden it's got two chances either it grows or it doesn't :o :laughing:

Miffy xx

silvermist
03-04-2012, 04:52 PM
lol :laughing::laughing:

nikki thomson
03-04-2012, 04:59 PM
I'd love a veggie patch or even some flowers but we have a giant rabbit Henri and he'd eat them, I did someone a favour a few weeks ago and looked after her dd at a moments notice for the day and she bought me a plant to say thankyou, I popped it outside on top of the recycling boxes to water it and was then going to bring it inside, anyway by the time I went back outside Henri had eaten it.
On the plus side I have no weeds, lol. X

silvermist
03-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Naughty bunny! :D

loocyloo
03-04-2012, 06:05 PM
we only planted ours last week :blush:

but the one in the cut down bottle is sending out lots of roots!

louise
03-04-2012, 08:36 PM
One of ours has had shoots for a week, other bag has started today I noticed. I normally kill everything, keep on forgetting to water as well so I am very surprised. Need to do sunflowers when the kids our back.

LauraS
03-04-2012, 10:24 PM
We planted potatoes last year and they did quite well, but the plants were so unruly and the carrots and courgettes and sweetcorn were so much more satisfying to grow that we haven't bothered with taters this year.

I have bought these seeds this week though:
http://www.shawburygardencentre.co.uk/shop/?pid=718
and
http://www.unwins.co.uk/sunflower-teddy-bear-seeds-pid4044.html
from Asda

The official line is that I bought them 'for the kids' cough cough :o but in truth, they're for meeeee!

chez
04-04-2012, 08:58 AM
ops I have forgotten to even chip these is it too late??

loocyloo
04-04-2012, 01:15 PM
ops I have forgotten to even chip these is it too late??

i didn't plant potatoes til middle/end of april last year, due to moving!