PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IF WE STARTED A PETITION?

silvermist
02-04-2012, 09:51 PM
I was wondering if it would be a good idea if we started a petition for paper copies of the new eyfs, after all we are expected to follow it and I for one feel very strongly that it should be available to us for free instead of spending a small fortune on ink.Im not sure how you go about it but there is definately a way to do this. What do you all think?

jumpinjen
02-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Interesting - are there 100,000 CM's that will sign? I am amused at the idea of it being debated in parliament though!! It wasn't really that bad on ink - and it goes down as an expense, sorry but can't see it going all the way - nice idea though!

Jen x

miffy
03-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Worth a try Tinksplace - you set it up and I'll sign it - nothing ventured and all that............

Miffy xx

Pauline
03-04-2012, 06:52 AM
My concern is for those childminders who do not have a computer or internet. They do still exist! How are they supposed to get a copy?

I can understand the need to save money by not sending out thousands of printed copies, but equally I think they should be available somehow for those with no other option. :)

AliceK
03-04-2012, 07:02 AM
My concern is for those childminders who do not have a computer or internet. They do still exist! How are they supposed to get a copy?

I can understand the need to save money by not sending out thousands of printed copies, but equally I think they should be available somehow for those with no other option. :)

I must admit i am dreading printing it all out. I would be willing to pay a small fee to get a printed copy sent to me.

Tinksplace, I would sign the petition :thumbsup:

xxxx

keeks
03-04-2012, 07:04 AM
I think they should have paper copies available to buy at a low price. It can't cost them that much per copy to print a large number of copies, the price could cover printing and postage.

xx

keeks
03-04-2012, 07:06 AM
I must admit i am dreading printing it all out. I would be willing to pay a small fee to get a printed copy sent to me.

Tinksplace, I would sign the petition :thumbsup:

xxxx

Haha, great minds think alike! :D

And Tinkspace, I would of course also sign your petition! Good thinking!

xx

Mollymop
03-04-2012, 07:30 AM
I will definately sign!! I dont agree with spending out on ink, whether it goes down as an expense or not, to print out the new eyfs! There is more than one book and would take ages. It really annoys me!
I have a few friends who don't use a computer so how are they going to get a copy? x

Penny1959
03-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Some people are providing hard copies - for a cost.

At the moment the day nursery association are,

Worcestershire LA are thinking about it

I have been told that Early Education might

Personally I would be happy to pay a reasonable amount because I can see I will end up spending loads on paper and ink on keep reprinting. And I think it looks much more professional when sharing with parents - if a 'proper' printed copy.

This is the bit from Nursery World about hard copies - including my little bit

The Government has also come under fire from early years providers who are unhappy about having to print their own copies of the revised EYFS framework.
Penny Webb, who runs childminding service Penny's Place in Kidderminster, Worcestershire, said that after less than 24 hours' use the copy she printed is 'dog eared and the pages are out of order.'
To meet the needs of nurseries for printed materials, the National Day Nurseries Association said it would be making professionally printed and bound copies of the revised EYFS framework and Development Matters available to nurseries at a cost of £9.50.
Chief executive Purnima Tanuku said, 'NDNA understands that many nurseries prefer to have printed copies of important documents so that these can be accessed and shared easily by staff.
'We hope nurseries will find this a useful recourse during this period of change in the sector and we are pleased to be able to offer this support

I wonder if NCMA or PLA are going to provide hard copies for people to buy - would seem to me to be a good opportunity to provide a member benefit. I shall ask the PLA when I meet with their senior management team on Wed 11th April

Maybe someone could ask NCMA the same thing (won't be me of course)

Penny :)

Nikki125
03-04-2012, 08:00 AM
I will most definatly sign, and it sounds like we will all be willing to pay a SMALL fee, so we dont expect something for nothing but it will be nice to have a hard copy that binded together properly. x

silvermist
03-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Thanks everyone for replying, Penny, your reply was very interesting and it doesnt seem fair that nurserys may be offered hard copies. I would be willing to pay a small fee however I still think it should be provided.

Jen, I know its a real shot in the dark but like Pauline said there are people without internet access and printing it out in a library would cost a packet too!

Please keep replying if you think a petition is the right way to go.

Like they say...you snooze, you lose!:)

Mouse
03-04-2012, 08:15 AM
When you see the price the current EYFS books have been sold for on Ebay you can see this being big business for some enterprising person.

I really don't mind the cost of printing it myself, but I would prefer a professionally printed copy, which I'd be happy to pay a reasonable amount for.

silvermist
03-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Hi can some one please advise on how I start a petition? Sorry if the answer is obvious but not ever done it.:blush:

Two Princesses
03-04-2012, 09:16 AM
I'll sign it :thumbsup:
I had to print the last one (or hubby did at work!) and it doesn't look professional at all. I've had to put it in a leaver arch file so it stays in the right order but it just looks tatty now.
I think most people would be willing to pay a small/reasonable price for a copy that will last a lot longer than an ordinary paper copy.

PS, sorry no idea how to start a petition x

PixiePetal
03-04-2012, 10:03 AM
no idea how to do a petition but would sign.

I could print it out but home printed things all get a bit tatty after a while.

I wouldn't mind buying a copy at a reasonable price as the paper is usually thicker and it would all stay in order - unlike home printed sheets :rolleyes:

~Grasshopper~
03-04-2012, 10:35 AM
i will sign.

i used to work in local government and we had our own reprographics dept. it would be dirt cheap to say order a large batch of copies/ maybe bound or something. Somebody could make a fortune on ebay selling them. i would be more than happy to pay for a copy xx

silvermist
03-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Just had a visit from my DO bringing me my RAG folder. She said she thinks they will produce hard copies of Eyfs.

watgem
03-04-2012, 05:30 PM
I would sign it, I do know a childminder who doesn't have a pc.

silvermist
03-04-2012, 05:55 PM
I would sign it, I do know a childminder who doesn't have a pc.

This is the thing, I know quite a few childminders who rely heavily on the library but they do have to pay quite a bit for printing stuff off. Doesnt seem fair to me.