PDA

View Full Version : Bank holiday

Katy M
02-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Quick question:

What do you charge for bank holidays? I don't want to work bank holidays but not sure whether to charge or what to charge? Other childminders in my area charge full or half. Not sure what is fair. My contract doesn't specify this. It is something I plan on adding when I have worked out what to do.

Thanks

caz3007
02-04-2012, 07:23 PM
I dont charge cos I dont want to work them. Was asked to work Good Friday but didnt feel guilty about saying no.

I know that some on here charge full fee if not used and double if used.

Suebb1
02-04-2012, 07:24 PM
I don't personally charge for bank holidays as I don't want to work on any of them!!! But I know lots of childminders have it written into their contracts that they charge full/half rate for all bank holidays. It's a personnal choice

Katy M
02-04-2012, 07:33 PM
My problem is that the mum is not working. She is a stay at home mum. I don't want her to say "I'll swap the day then" cos I don't have other days to offer her. I guess if mum was working she would get paid for bank holidays so perhaps wouldn't bat-an-eyelid at paying me on bank holidays.
Might just not charge and not run the risk of losing her.
But then other childminder's in my area charge so she wouldn't go to them instead over this....
Sorry thinking out loud!! :blush:
Just want to do the fair thing...

miffy
02-04-2012, 07:51 PM
I charge full fee for Bank Holidays if they fall on a contracted day but I don't work them but this is written into the contract.

If you have nothing in your contracts about BH charges then I don't see how you could charge for them unless you give parents the appropriate notice (as on your contracts) and then amend the contract to cover BH's

Miffy xx

Katy M
02-04-2012, 08:24 PM
You are right. I should have given this some thought before hand.
I have now changed my contract but for this particular mum I will not charge.
Thank you for your help.