PDA

View Full Version : Decided I am going to register

Npg1
02-04-2012, 07:07 PM
I am currently working in a nursery, 4 days a week. My neighbour had a baby in november and I approached her and said I was thinking of becoming a childminder. She is desperately wanting me to have the baby but I wasnt sure, until today when I have just thought, yes this is what I want to do and I am going to register and hopefully have her 2 days a week I will give up the nursery 2 days a week. Just so worried my boss will be funny with me!

I have to make the right decision for me and my family.

I have printed off the regisration documents and am about to fill them in, guess this is the first step

Also I currently earn £50 per day at work and ant be out of pocket from childminding. I was going to charge either £50 per day, 9am til 6pm and her brother for 3 hours on top of that at 4.50 per hour.

Or do I charge a flat rate of £4.50 per hour all day? She was going to put the baby into a day nursery which charges nearly £50 per day.

Any way many thanks

Penny1959
02-04-2012, 08:47 PM
I hope all works out for you

I would advise finding out how much local childminders charge because although this mum might be happy to pay £50 per day - to be sustainable you need to be priced competively.

Also you need to bear in mind that those using a nursery get childcare all year round - most childminders close for their annual holiday or if they are ill.

So you need to decide if you will charge for these times - if you don't your income over the year will be reduced - and if you do the mum may end up paying more if she has to pay for childcare when you are closed.

Lots to think about

Penny :)

silvermist
02-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Hi, My only real advice is...not to expect to make lots of money to start with. Ive currently been out of work for 7 months while going through the registration process and I do have 4 mindees starting after easter hols but its not the type of job where you can guarentee a regular wage. I hope everything goes the way you'd like and wish you well. x