PDA

View Full Version : What are the next steps for........

lisa1968
02-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Hi all,
Feeling a bit thick so I'm seeking your wisdom about 'next steps' on observations.....
I have no trouble doing observations-short ones,long ones..etc etc..but a lot of the time I struggle to come up with the 'next steps'.
Obs.1-2.5 yr old doing water painting on concrete fence post in garden.he watches as the sun dries the water,then says 'Gone'.he then paints another line and watches it dry.
Obs.2 - 17 month old successfully places 3 rings onto the stacking rings' post-although obviously not in the correct order.
Obs.3-19 month old independantly adding glue to a picture and sprinkling glitter onto it without any help
Obs.4-14 month old drawing firework pic using chalks;holds chalk well and draws lines going from top to bottom of paper.

I'm really stuck what to add as next steps-I'm sure many of you will come up with something straight away!
Thank you!!:)

sarah707
03-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Hi all,
Feeling a bit thick so I'm seeking your wisdom about 'next steps' on observations.....
I have no trouble doing observations-short ones,long ones..etc etc..but a lot of the time I struggle to come up with the 'next steps'.
Obs.1-2.5 yr old doing water painting on concrete fence post in garden.he watches as the sun dries the water,then says 'Gone'.he then paints another line and watches it dry.

More painting...

Obs.2 - 17 month old successfully places 3 rings onto the stacking rings' post-although obviously not in the correct order.

using counting words

Obs.3-19 month old independantly adding glue to a picture and sprinkling glitter onto it without any help

Sensory play with glitter and glue

Obs.4-14 month old drawing firework pic using chalks;holds chalk well and draws lines going from top to bottom of paper.

Chalk on the flagstones

I'm really stuck what to add as next steps-I'm sure many of you will come up with something straight away!
Thank you!!:)

Just follow the child's interests and go with what you know they will enjoy :D

Kirsty90
03-04-2012, 05:35 PM
I think I am managing to do next steps when it comes to my observations but once you have done these next steps do you then have to have it in writing that you've done them?

Thanks xx

EmmaReed84
03-04-2012, 05:55 PM
This may be totally wrong but I make my obs, write them down, sometimes with a picture, then I add "Idea's for future play"

Every so often (6-12 weel depending on age) I go over all my obs, flick through and see where child is at, what they are doing well, what not so well. I then look at some next steps so work on so maybe, walking, talking, confidence, something that is more a "milestone" type of thing rather than smaller next steps learned primary colours... next steps learn more colours etc <-- that would be my "ideas for future play" IYSWIM

It is so hard to explain in writing and keep it short lol

sonia ann
03-04-2012, 06:43 PM
This may be totally wrong but I make my obs, write them down, sometimes with a picture, then I add "Idea's for future play"

Every so often (6-12 weel depending on age) I go over all my obs, flick through and see where child is at, what they are doing well, what not so well. I then look at some next steps so work on so maybe, walking, talking, confidence, something that is more a "milestone" type of thing rather than smaller next steps learned primary colours... next steps learn more colours etc <-- that would be my "ideas for future play" IYSWIM

It is so hard to explain in writing and keep it short lol

I really like your way of looking at it. It is amazing how a different way of wording something can make it all so much simpler. I have always struggled finding "next steps" but calling it "ideas for future play" has suddenly given me a light bulb moment.............."next steps" makes it all sound more difficult than it really is, in my opinion any way.

Like you every 8-12 weeks I look at my obs and see which areas of development need working on and this is my future individual planning.
I think this is why I was struggling to find next steps after an observation I was making it far too "big".......does that make sense?
"Ideas for future play" is always in my head anyway........I just couldn't see it could be that simple :)

thank you Emma xx

lisa1968
03-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks sarah707-when someone else writes it ,you think 'Oh Yeah'!!..and its so obvious but my mind just goes blank!I think I'm actually looking for a 'next step' too deeply IYSWIM when i should just look at the obvious.

Emma-ideas for future play is a good way of putting it-puts a whole new take on things!

Thanks guys-knew someone would help!:thumbsup:

sonia ann
03-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks sarah707-when someone else writes it ,you think 'Oh Yeah'!!..and its so obvious but my mind just goes blank!I think I'm actually looking for a 'next step' too deeply IYSWIM when i should just look at the obvious.

Emma-ideas for future play is a good way of putting it-puts a whole new take on things!

Thanks guys-knew someone would help!:thumbsup:

I know exactly what you mean :)