PDA

View Full Version : SLT and supporting parents

jumping j
31-03-2012, 06:14 PM
One of my lo's has a speech delay, he is currenlty on track/advanced in most areas, I had previously spoken to mum about it and we were beginning to put systems in place when the family had money problems and lo's grandma began to care for him.
During his 2 year check the health visitor flagged up the speech delay and recommended a Speech and Language Tharapist.

The Therapist told lo's mum that the problem was down to her poor parenting techniques, and amoung other things made her feel very inadequate and lacking as a parent and refused to come out on days that mum didn't work (mum only works part time), dad had to take time off work to attend the sessions.
Lo has returned to me and the therapist told to take a running jump and given my number to confirm my 'qualifications'

Anyway I recieved a call from the therapist on friday and she began speaking to me in a very condesending (sp) way, asking if I knew what OWLing was, if I was aware of 'learning through play'. It was at this point I interupted her, told her I was part of the 2 year pilot scheme, done the talking matters, let's interact courses etc oh and by the way I'm a qualified teacher!
Her whole demeanor changed, she was polite, spoke to me like an equal and actually asked me my opinion on the lo!:laughing:

She also asked if I thought she should continue with the sessions at which point I told her that that needed to be discussed with lo's mum, I'd be happy to work with what ever mum decided, but if I was to do the sessions the therapist would have to come to me as I had other children to consider.

Mum rang me last night to thank me for the way I'd handled the therapist.

She had rung mum after me to offer solutions and was overly polite and flexible, suggesting that one of her colleagues could come out at a more convenient time for mum (why wasn't this suggested before?!?!).

Just makes me wonder how many other parents the Therapist is making feel inadequate when she should be supporting and teaching them how best to help their child!:panic:

primula
31-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Well done you! So much for the 'parent's being the most important in the child's life'..

sarah707
31-03-2012, 07:27 PM
It doesn't sound like her people skills are up to much :(

Maybe she's fab with the children! :D

The Juggler
31-03-2012, 10:27 PM
that is such an awful story. so for a CM less qualified in her previous life than you, she would have been shot down in flames by this SLT :panic:

good for you for putting her in her place but its awful she has this opinion and someone less qualified might have equally as much other training but not the confidence to stand up to her :(

FussyElmo
01-04-2012, 06:27 AM
Sounds like this woman needs to have a complaint put in about her and her attitude. How many children have not gone to her because of her attitude to the parents. :panic::panic:

jumping j
02-04-2012, 06:36 AM
This is what was worried about, it's a good job I had the knowledge and experience to back me up, a few months ago I wouldn't have known what to say to her!:panic:
I have suggested a complaint to mum, she isn't the type of person to sit back and let things happen! I think she's going to see how the meeting goes today!

miffy
02-04-2012, 06:43 AM
I think mum should definitely complain - she's lucky she had you to back her and the therapist has done an about turn but other parents may not be so lucky and it might mean a child doesn't get the help they need.

Miffy xx